Nothing shall define you

Posted by appolus on December 25, 2017

Though many things in my life have shaped me, outside of Christ nothing has defined me. I am not that boy who grew up in an alcoholic home, we are not that couple who were pregnant as teenagers. We are not that couple who were homeless or that couple who lost their child. Nor are we the couple that’s son was 60% burned when he was two or whose other son was born with Down Syndrome. I am not that guy who struggled with drink and pot. I am not that guy who quit drink and pot. I am not that guy who laid bricks nor am that guy who sells houses. While all of these things had a hand in shaping my wife and I, it is only Jesus that has defined us. Jesus has defined us so much that probably no one could tell where we came from or even guess what our childhood was like. We are so rooted and defined by God because He is so much bigger than any one of those events or even all of those events combined. Do not let yourself become defined by the events that happened in your life whether good or bad. Don’t be that guy who is very wealthy, don’t be that woman who was abused, don’t be that person who has a handicap, be defined in Christ and you will be renewed no matter what your circumstances were or the combination of all of your circumstances are. Be known as that couple who are kind and loving. Be known as that woman who is virtuous. Be known as that man who walks with integrity. Be known as the couple who others can turn to for help. No single event or series of them must be allowed to define us, not even our salvation, for salvation is not a one time event, it is a living thing. Let the lives that we live define us and let those lives be in Christ and then when the world looks at us they will see Jesus. And if He be lifted up…………………….Glory to God in the highest ,  Glory to our God on high who can take someone who has been shattered into ten thousand pieces and put it all back together. Glory to the one who transforms and renews and makes all things whole.

14 Responses to “Nothing shall define you”

1. mr. caryb said

Have you seen this REMNANT (Bride) Website? http://www.RemnantBride.com
    Would love your comments regarding its many Spiritual Lessons.

2. Steve said

An important truth well put, Frank. Thank you for posting it.

I’d add to your examples of wrongful definition that we must vigilantly avoid being defined (especially self-defined) by, or as, a political faction. Nothing has more deeply corrupted Christianity in America the last 40 years.

I totally agree with that Steve, highly destructive to the name of Jesus to be associated with any party spirit. We were called to be a counter culture not a sub-culture………………Frank

3. Vicki said

an excellent article, I’m reblogging it on my new little Christian blog called Homeward Bound.

4. Vicki said

Reblogged this on Homeward Bound and commented:
    an excellent article, well worth a read and a ponder.

5. Prayergate said

Hey Frank,

That’s quite amazing. I was literally just sitting here this morning pondering over my 67 years on planet Earth and realizing that I’ve had about 12 totally different “lives” due to the nature of all of my decisions and moves in the physical realm (different jobs, residences, relationships, locations, etc). I was never one to stay in one place or have one “career path”.

But now, all of these “lives” have created a potpourri of memories in which the good, bad and the ugly directly connected with each one have come bubbling up (intermixed) to the surface in my mind almost continuously. This has led me a number of times to question what in the world my life has amounted to in the end.

And this article, by the grace of God, just answered it!

Thanks & God Bless,
    Tim

I actually wrote it at 2.30 in the morning, the Lord awoke me with the phrase ” the events of your life shape you but dont define you.” I lay there pondering what the Spirit was saying then got up because if I went back to sleep I would have forgotten it come the morning 🙂 ………………………bro Frank

6. Prayergate said

P.S.

“If ye then be risen with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ sitteth on the right hand of God. Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth. For ye are dead, and your life is hid with Christ in God. When Christ, who is our life, shall appear, then shall ye also appear with him in glory.” (Col 3:1-4)

7. Anna said

So many ticks in agreement here…could be our life…Amen, Amen, Amen….It is finished!!!

8. Fiona Burky said

Thank you for this reminder! While our past has been used by God to shape us, it doesn’t define us as we are “new in Christ”.

On a sad note, political parties has caused a rift in one of my friendships. I have a very difficult time voting for someone that’s pro-abortion and pro-gay, regardless of their political party. My friend, however refuses to consider those things, and will not budge from being a die-hard Democrat. She knows that I refuse to be affiliated with any political party, but to her, her party must win.

When asked how she can reconcile the fact that many Democrats are pro-abortion and pro-gay, she quickly changes the subject and starts trying to find fault with the other parties. I keep praying for her, but we’re are the point now where we hardly even talk.