Not the biggest fan of Christmas

Posted by appolus on December 22, 2017

I have grown to dislike this season more with every passing year. When I was a child my poor mother would go into debt every year, not on extravagant presents but just so her children could have something. Maybe that is one of the reasons I dont have a lot of time for it. Maybe it is because every year there is less and less focus on Jesus. Around my house I am known as the grinch because I dont care much for all the present buying, in fact I tell them, with a smile on my face, that if it was up to me I would ban all present buying, but I a deadly serious, I would. My heart is pained at what this season represents to the world. I will be pleasant enough to everyone, but my heart is not in it at all. If I could just sit with a company of saints and sing Oh Holy Night and consider the day, whatever day it was, that the Lord was born and rejoice in that, that would be better than anything. I don’t want to rain on anyone’s parade, it is simply how I feel.

14 Responses to “Not the biggest fan of Christmas”

1. wakarusaguy said

Amen, Frank. There are a few of us who abstain from Christmas, because we consider it essentially non-Christian.

There were more of us in the Christian past: some early patristic writers (even before Christmas was invented), most non-Roman Medieval Christian believers, many Reformers outside central Europe (I understand the Scotch Reformed Church held the anti-Christmas line into the mid-Twentieth Century), and 3 of the 4 main groups that settled colonial America: the Puritans (who enacted a law against celebrating Christmas), the Quakers, and the so-called Scotch-Irish of the mountain South.

Except for the Tidewater South elite’s formal Church of England celebration, Christmas was never really an American “holiday”…until the craze for its celebration that resulted from the publication of Dicken’s “A Christmas Carol” (which strangely fails to mention “Jesus” or “Christ” once in his paean to the holiday) in 1843.

But personally I most of all hate our current Christmas for replacing Christian worship, and Christian life, among believers. (more on that in my blog from earlier this week, “Why I Hate Christmas”, https://cross-purposes.blogspot.com/).

Thanks for this post. Nothing could be more importantly “un-p.c.” among Christians that a word against Christmas.

2. Vicki said

Amen.. for my husband and I Christmas morning will be just another day. we do give small gifts to family beforehand but we have no tree and gave up buying each other presents long ago.

3. Robert Taylor said

My family and myself have not celebrated christmas for at least 20 years. The bible gives us the story of the birth of our Saviour in the book of Luke. The bible absolutely adds nothing to that story brother Frank. This modern day thing called christmas is a man made abomination of the higest order. The bible very plainly tells us that we are to celebrate the death and ressurection on our Lord. It says absolutely nothing about celebrating his birth. Blessings from Mexico bro..

Hey Robert, always good to hear from you brother. And you are right, for the vast majority it has nothing to do with celebrating His birth. God bless you and your dear wife………..bro Frank

4. Anna said

Your thoughts resonate with me also. I recall my parents’ worry each year when I was a kid , being raised in Drumchapel, Glasgow in Scotland. We were never short of love but the pressure and anxiety was something I sensed. As I have become more immersed in the bible these past 7 years since emigrating, something has changed in my heart and I have felt more and more withdrawn at this time of year. I try not to take any joy out of my 2 kids’ day but they know where I am at with it. I only read about the history of the date a few years ago and now no longer associate it with Christ’s birth. The persecution I have experienced actually started from within my inner circle, albeit mild. I think the biggest step I ever made in my walk with Christ our Lord and saviour was when I finally stated to family and friends that I was standing outside this and no longer tied my saviour’s name or birthday to this date. My heart isn’t stirred in any way on that date. I just am at peace and treat it like any other day of the year , walking with the Lord. The blessings flowed afterwards, a strange sense of liberation and I finally, at 46 years old , grasped the true meaning of ‘freedom in Christ. It feels like a burden has been lifted.

Hi Anna, good to hear from you. I appreciate your thoughts and comments and we have definately had a similar experience as children. I grew up on a housing scheme in Greenock and emigrated to America when I was 26, been here for just over 26 years. Where did you emigrate to?

• Anna said

Hi Appolus. Yes coming across this website (barely 2 months ago) has been such a blessing to me. I read you were from Greenock also and sent the link to my dad and mum. I did an intern year there in IBM around 25 years ago. It has changed a lot since then. We emigrated to Canada. It is such a comfort being able to feel connected to brothers and sisters in Christ through your site. Blessings to you and yours.

Good to hear from a fellow Scot. Yeah, my mom and dad are both still back home so I go back every couple of years. IBM is gone now, literally, it has been torn down and looks like they will build houses there in the valley. I a few Christian friends in Canada, i know the spiritual state of Canada is much like back home.Glad you have been blessed by the site, facebook version of this site is probably more active https://www.facebook.com/acalltotheremnant/ I also have a poetry site https://www.facebook.com/PoemsFromFrank/ Or if you guys want to be facebook friends just look me up Frank McEleny……….bro Frank

• Anna said

Will keep in touch for sure, though I am not on facebook. We absolutely all need to stand strong together in Christ, full armour on . I visited Scotland with my wee family last year, 1st time since emigrating. It was a little surreal. I would like to be able to get back more often. I love poetry also so will check out the site. Also re Canada…yep, I see that. But our Lord has forewarned us, though somedays I struggle here. I was blessed to attend a great wee primary school in Glasgow, where the teachers prayed the Lord’s prayer at assembly. The seed was planted back there in Drumchapel so fond memories. Peace bro Frank
            Anna

Peace to you sister……………bro Frank

5. I am very similar in your thoughts brother. My husband and I are moving further away from all the Christmas traditions each year. I used to work for a charity that provided thousands of toys to the community and this started to turn my stomach. People were under this spell of deception and trapped into this superficial unrealistic practice and expectation that if kids didn’t get a trolley of toys then they were poor and hardly done by. Good grief. So now I don’t buy gifts except every few years for one or two who would be offended not to have one, or require gifts. Even as far as Christmas carols and all the Christian traditions-I have little if any interest. Jesus is King every day, He is alive right now and His resurrection life dwells in His people. Every day is the same to and in Him I’m sure. 🙂

Every day is the Lord’s day indeed Donna. The saints, the royal priests need no reminder of who the Lord for He burns within out hearts and we talk to Him everyday……………….bro Frank

6. Rebecca said

When I think of Christ’s birth I think of Simeon. He was watching and waiting for the Messiah … told by the Holy Spirit he would not see death until he beheld the Savior. The temple was a busy place … yet only two people (Simeon and Anna) ‘saw’ to recognize the baby Jesus. This resonates with me during these days of Noah … there will only be a remnant people who are preparing and watching for Christ’s return as KING of kings and LORD of lords. I have not celebrated Christ-mass for several years now … when I researched its origins I decided to opt out. I do not miss the worldly glitz or the debt. I look forward for Christ’s reign … and I think of the devotion of Simeon … I long for a time when I will look upon His face … the ONE who gave His life for me … the ONE who intercedes for me with My Father … the ONE who I owe my everything to …