Seeking the treasure found in darkness.

Posted by appolus on January 20, 2016

There is a kind of suffering known only to the Christian. It is voluntary suffering deliberately and knowingly incurred for the sake of Christ. Such is a luxury, a treasure of fabulous value, a source of riches beyond the power of the mind to conceive. And it is rare as well as precious, for there are few in this decadent age who will of their own choice go down into this dark mine looking for jewels. But, of our own choice it must be, for there is not other way to get down. God will not force us into this kind of suffering. He will not lay this cross upon us not embarrass us with riches we do not want. Such riches are reserved for those who apply to serve in the legion unto death, who volunteer to suffer for Christ’s sake and who follow-up their application with lives that challenge the devil and invite the fury of hell. Such as these have said good-bye to the world’s toys; they have chosen to suffer affliction with the people of God;they have accepted toil and suffering as their earthly portion. The marks of the cross are upon them and they are known in heaven and hell.

But where are they? Has this breed of Christian died out of the earth? Have the saints of God joined the mad scramble for security? Has the cross become no more than a symbol , a bloodless and sterile relic of nobler times? Are we now afraid to suffer and unwilling to die? I hope not but I wonder. And only God has the answer.( Tozer, The radical Cross)

Interesting questions Tozer presents. Has this breed of Christian died out today? Do we even, in our modern age, understand the notion of what it means to ” mine the darkness for jewels.” Are we afraid to suffer and unwilling to die? Is security, that which the world highly values, is that what we seek? To be honest, if you listen to those who supposedly represent Christianity today you would have to conclude that above all else security is prized. Whether it is financial security or national security or even social security. We have insurance to cover almost every possible scenario. I do not say that there is anything wrong with security and insurance in and of itself. Yet, when it rules us, when it dictates our actions, when we lay all our hopes into its tenuous hands then we will undoubtedly find ourselves in trouble.

We cannot be ruled by these fears and at the very same time serve the living God effectively. To answer Tozer’s question about whether this breed of Christian has vanished from the earth, I say no. I see saints in war-torn countries continue on serving God and being martyred for their Lord, they are such a breed. I have met countless saints from all around the world whose desire in this world is to serve God, they only live to serve God. I have met and heard from so many American saints, ( American saints often have a bad press around the world) who love the Lord with all of their hearts and who have willingly suffered for His sake and who would suffer more is asked, they are of this breed.

I see a time ahead, not in the too far distant future, where God will raise up out of the shadows such a breed as Tozer spoke of. A people who have been taught by God Himself and who have been enriched by the treasures of the ” dark mine.” They have been taught obedience and reliance upon Him. They have been honed by the hammer and the chisel to rightly fit into the plans of God for such a time as this. They have been secretly drawn into the desert and there, where no life should be found, they have found life and that more abundantly. This abundant life is not the abundant life spoken of by heretical teachers of health and prosperity. No, this is the abundant life of the cross-bearers; Those who willingly suffer for His sake and would have it no other way and have found an abundant source of joy and strength to endure and in enduring, overcome.

God has His people. And whether they live or whether they die their aim is to glorify God, it is their chief all-consuming desire. As the world plunges into darkness and chaos, and all around are losing their heads, there is a breed of Christian who have learned to walk among such darkness with a peace that surpasses all understanding. God has mighty plans for such a breed of people. Not the plans of the false prophet who tell the people of a glorious future in this world and only speak of peace and prosperity. No, the Lord will bring forward a breed of people to lead the Body of Christ in the way of the cross. A people who will show that there are mountaintop experiences to be had in the very depths of the deepest valley’s. Their light will shine in such darkness for their light is the light of Christ Himself and when He and He alone is lifted up then men and women shall be drawn unto Him.

I will go before thee, and make the crooked places straight: I will break in pieces the gates of brass, and cut in sunder the bars of iron: And I will give thee the treasures of darkness, and hidden riches of secret places, that thou mayest know that I, the LORD, which call thee by thy name, am the God of Israel. (Isa 45:2-3)

7 Responses to “Seeking the treasure found in darkness.”

1. Oh yes Lord.

2. immo51 said

Amen brother in CHRIST JESUS,
    It saddens me to see so many people following “man-made” idols and they completely miss the beautiful opportunity to glow closer to our amazing CREATOR as He desires. I spent 58 years trying it “man’s” way in the “man-made” church system. I kept so busy, thinking I was serving the LORD, I didn’t have time to truly see what GOD was calling me to. Praise be to GOD for opening my eyes and heart to HIS true grace, mercy, and love. GOD is so GREAT! John 4:23 says, “But the hour is coming, and now is, when the true worshipers will worship the FATHER in spirit and truth; for the FATHER is seeking such to worship HIM.” Imagine that, GOD is seeking HIS people! I am not sure where this is all going for my wife and I, but I do know this, GOD is in complete control and HE has much more in store for all of us, then we could ever imagine in our wildest thoughts. Praise and glory to GOD our Heavenly FATHER. My chains gone, I’ve been set free! Praise be to GOD! Love you all!
    In CHRIST JESUS

Indeed brother, God is seeking His people, it’s quite a thought that the Lord desires intimacy with His own!!!! ……bro Frank

3. Barbara said

When I read your last four articles this morning, they evoke many emotions and thoughts within my soul. For several years I would have the same night dream in which I was on my knees digging with my hands into the blackest and richest of soil, bringing up treasure coins. With each coin found, I was filled with overwhelming joy. A joy that no monetary coin could ever bring. I have always believed it was a spiritual dream. And at this present time, my husband of over fifty years has been diagnosed with liver cancer. This is a time when I must choose to dig deep. Thank you, and thank God for His perfect timing to remind me of the treasure I have found in Him.

Amen Barbara and God bless you and your husband. The Lord began teaching me the lessons of blessings from the darkness almost immediately after I came to know Him. My son was born 22 years ago and had Down Syndrome and many other medical problems. Two days after he was born the Lord spoke to me in one of the most profound ways He has ever spoken to me. He said ” I have given you a perfect gift from the treasures of heaven.” That was it, so few words, so simple, but so life altering. Blessings are all those things that draw us closer to our Father, deeper into His heart. What the world and much of Christendom considers blessings is often the catalyst that draws us away from the Lord and makes us less dependent. One of the deepest periods of my life as a Christian came just six weeks after my son with Down Syndrome was born. I was diagnosed with pulmonary fibrosis. I had to depend upon God for the very air that I breathed. It created such a strong bond and deep learning, in ways that could never have been achieved by normal events of life. I prayed to the Lord once, with all of my heart ” Lord, whatever it takes.” I wanted to be truly useful to Him and His Kingdom. A dangerous prayer as it turns out but I would change nothing.

Lord, I just ask your blessings today on Barbara and her husband as they face this giant in their lives. Lord I pray that you would lead them and guide them every step of the way, I pray that they would be conscious of our manifest presence in their lives daily. I pray that you would dominate their thoughts daily and not cancer. I pray against the inevitable fear that comes with that disease. I pray that Barbara and her husband would ” know,” that he is not leaving this planet one day before you have deemed it. Lord we know the steps of a righteous man are ordered of God, not the enemy, not the world and not any disease. I pray that Barbara and her husband would glorify you in this as the lean heavily upon your grace and mercy. Lord we pray all these things in your wonderful name, than name which is above ever other name, that at the name of Jesus every knee shall bow of those in heaven and those on earth and those under the earth, and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord to the glory of God the Father………………..bro Frank

4. Renee said

Thank you for yet another encouraging post, Bro. Frank. Your posts of late have been a true oasis to my soul in the wilderness. May the Lord continue to speak and exhort His saints through you.
    As I read this article by Tozer, this scripture came to mind: “But know that the Lord has set apart for Himself him who is godly; The Lord will hear when I call to Him.” (Psalm 4:3) The Lord in every age has a people who will represent His testimony. Everyone won’t, but someone will. By His grace, I hope to be among them.

“The Lord in every age has a people who will represent His testimony. Everyone won’t, but someone will. By His grace, I hope to be among them.” Amen Renee, amen. God indeed has His people in every age and for the final age they will be strong in the Lord and the power of His might. I just wanted to point out also that the initial quote is Tozer’s but I wrote the article. Tozer I believe was a prophet of God and I dont want anyone to think or attribute anything I write to Tozer which could only be a disservice to him. God bless you Renee………………bro Frank