The Dark Night of the Soul

Posted by appolus on March 27, 2016

The dark night of the soul is not something pleasant to go through and does not end with a fellowship supper after church on a Sunday night. It is a grueling experience that requires an absolutely strict detachment from everything that you normally rely on so that you are only left with Christ.

The dark night of the soul separates those who are genuinely interested in following Christ from those who just have a curiosity about the deep things of God. We surely want God to do His work in our lives, but we want the lights left on. We want God to do in our hearts and lives that which will bring Him honoring glory, but we want to know and understand every step that He takes in our lives.

Darkness speaks of not knowing. We want God to do, but we want Him to do what He does within the scope of our comprehension. The dark night of the soul, however, is a work of the Holy Spirit that exceeds the ability of any man or woman to understand. When we come through the dark night of the soul, we do not know what has really happened to us, but we do know what has made it happen (A.W.Tozer)

Tozer is here talking about the dark night of the soul. This is a concept well-known to the Body of Christ. Tozer describes it very well in the above quote. I would say that for centuries men here and there have went through this experience and they have had a profound effect on the Body of Christ. It is a kind of refiners fire that purges away reliance upon anything else other than God. It has happened to individuals and small groups of people but now I want to suggest that God is taking the Body of Christ, the genuine saints, the remnant, through a dark night of the soul corporately so to speak. He is and has been and is continuing to separate his children from ailing and compromised institutions. He is drawing them out. And as they come out He is drawing them into the desert. Now the desert is typically a place of death but the saints in their dark nights of the soul, in their journey to complete dependence upon Him will find life in the desert.

Perhaps you are being drawn out? It is scary. You are full of doubt, you are surrounded by darkness, you cannot hear from the Lord or discern His purpose for your life but you are being driven. As much as you cannot see the way ahead you know you cannot stay in a place of compromise and lukewarmness. No one understands you where you are. When you speak of deeper things and desiring to take up your cross for Christ people look at you like you are an alien. So you are driven. Driven into darkness and solitude and loneliness. Driven to a place where your only fellowship is the Lord Himself and His word. This is alien at first but the longer you journey into this place the more you realize the wonder and the glory of complete dependence upon the Lord for all of your spiritual needs. He is establishing your feet upon a broad place. He is equipping you to be a light in the gross darkness to come. He is enabling you to be a source of encouragement to the Body of Christ in the age in which we live.

As the saints come out of this desert I believe God is drawing them to each other. All around the world in the days to come God is drawing His Body together after they have come through the darkness and complete separation from the world and now completely rely on Him. He is and will continue to equip the saints in every generation for what they have to face. I believe our generation will face the greatest darkness that has ever faced the Body of Christ universally. Men and woman of the past whom the Lord brought through the dark night of the soul, as few as they were, had a tremendous effect on the Body of Christ. Imagine what effect the Body of Christ will have on the world when the Lord has finished His work of taking His Church through this experience.

But who may abide the day of his coming? and who shall stand when he appeareth? for he is like a refiner’s fire, and like fullers’ soap: And he shall sit as a refiner and purifier of silver: and he shall purify the sons of Levi, and purge them as gold and silver, that they may offer unto the LORD an offering in righteousness. Then shall the offering of Judah and Jerusalem be pleasant unto the LORD, as in the days of old, and as in former years. And I will come near to you to judgment; and I will be a swift witness against the sorcerers, and against the adulterers, and against false swearers, and against those that oppress the hireling in his wages, the widow, and the fatherless, and that turn aside the stranger from his right, and fear not me, saith the LORD of hosts. (Mal 3:2-5)

13 Responses to “The Dark Night of the Soul”

1. Debbie said

Absolutely!

2. jacqui said

Amen, I am going through this again ….. completely separated…. but the joy of getting to know Him more is so valuable. God Bless x

3. immo51 said

Thank you for the encouraging Spirit filled words brother. God truly has a plan for our “wilderness” experience. Stay strong in God’s Word, allow the Spirit to led you, and pray for a closer relationship with our “Abba Father.” Ezekiel foretold of the true people of God being scattered in Ezekiel 34:5-12.

5 So they were scattered because there was no shepherd; and they became food for all the beasts of the field when they were scattered. 6 My sheep wandered through all the mountains, and on every high hill; yes, My flock was scattered over the whole face of the earth, and no one was seeking or searching for them.”

7 ‘Therefore, you shepherds, hear the word of the Lord: 8 “As I live,” says the Lord God, “surely because My flock became a prey, and My flock became food for every beast of the field, because there was no shepherd, nor did My shepherds search for My flock, but the shepherds fed themselves and did not feed My flock”— 9 therefore, O shepherds, hear the word of the Lord! 10 Thus says the Lord God: “Behold, I am against the shepherds, and I will require My flock at their hand; I will cause them to cease feeding the sheep, and the shepherds shall feed themselves no more; for I will deliver My flock from their mouths, that they may no longer be food for them.”

God, the True Shepherd
    11 ‘For thus says the Lord God: “Indeed I Myself will search for My sheep and seek them out. 12 As a shepherd seeks out his flock on the day he is among his scattered sheep, so will I seek out My sheep and deliver them from all the places where they were scattered on a cloudy and dark day.

Jesus said in Mathew 26:31, “Then Jesus said to them, “All of you will be made to stumble because of Me this night, for it is written:

‘I will strike the Shepherd,
    And the sheep of the flock will be scattered”

God scattered His people for a purpose! If you are feeling forgotten by “the world!” If you feel as though you are misunderstood by those you once felt connected to! Remember, God has led you where you are by “The Helper” (John 16:7) and he has a purpose for you being away from the “man-made” stuff of this world. John 4:23 says, “But the hour is coming, and now is, when the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth; for the Father is seeking such to worship Him.” God is drawing His own to a closer, more intimate relationship with Him and Him only! Our journey has not been easy! At times it has been very difficult! But, when the confusion of the world clears your soul, God has an open doorway to draw you closer to Him and Him only. I have a long way to go, but so far, I am beginning to comprehend the importance of this wilderness journey..to forsake everything else and rely only on Christ Jesus! To God goes the glory!

4. Thank you
    This provides much information and confirmation.
    Blessings
    – Kenzel

5. immo51 said

Recently the HOLY SPIRIT led me to read John 6:66. The words are soul rendering and heart opening! Why did this happen? Why did so many chose to make this choice? This led me to dive deeper into my relationship with CHRIST JESUS and seek the TRUTH as to what our SAVIOR demands of us. Then, read v. 67 as Jesus asks HIS twelve a question?
    Turn off everything of this world, the tv, radio, all the stuff Satan stirs our soul with, and turn to JESUS! This wilderness journey is a stark reminder of what we have to bring to God’s table…absolutely nothing but our faith in HIM. Your faith will be tested! You are going to lose so-called friends! Everything you thought was right, is probably going to be wrong. Your family is going to think you went off the deep end. They will question whether or not you are a believer. But, you will gain a relationship with our HEAVENLY FATHER through CHRIST JESUS that this world has absolutely no power over.
    Hebrews 5:8 reads, ” though He was a Son, yet He learned obedience by the things which He suffered” , and Philippians 2:8 ” And being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself and became obedient to the point of death, even the death of the cross.”
    And, one of my favorites, Romans 12:1-2, “Therefore we also, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which so easily ensnares us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, 2 looking unto Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith, who for the joy that was set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.”
    What happened in John 6:66? Enjoy the journey, it is a beautiful one my brothers and sisters!
    In CHRIST,

Hi Immo, as Jesus reveals who He truly is the multitudes begin to fall away. When Jesus reveals to Peter what His true purpose was, Peter fights against this. We are not so different nowadays. We have created a crossless Christ in our own image, a cultural Christianity that fits into our culture and our way of living. This cultural Christ serves us. When the crucified Christ is revealed people want no part in any suffering, but for those who take up their cross and deny their flesh and walk on with the Lord because they are following life itself, they find life and that more abundantly despite their circumstances…………….bro Frank

6. immo51 said

Brother Appolus,
    Amen! Christ crucified is the true gospel that Christ Himself taught and told everyone that this is what being part of “the Way” was all about. This is a truth that you will not hear in most “man-made” establishments who are interested in bringing in more and more people into their building. The “TRUTH” was never preached in all the over 57 years I attended the “man-made” building! Christ crucified must be told so people can hear the TRUTH! I have been led to the realization that loving others, as Christ commanded us to do in John 13:34-35 is deeper than what I always imagined. It is about loving them, as Christ did and that we share the TRUTH with them. Probably not what they want to hear, nevertheless the TRUTH that Christ died for.
    ” A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another. By this all people will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    To love someone is to share with CHRIST crucified. The TRUTH, which many as John 6:66 demonstrates, were not willing to follow. We fall so short today in telling those around us this TRUTH. We must be bold in GOD’S agape and share the “entire” TRUTH about what Jesus demands of us. Anything short of the entire TRUTH, CHRIST crucified, the suffering and sacrifice of life we are called into is not loving as Jesus commands us to do, is it?
    In Mark 8:38 our Savior said, “For whoever is ashamed of me and of my words in this adulterous and sinful generation, of him will the Son of Man also be ashamed when he comes in the glory of his Father with the holy angels.”
    Not sharing the entire TRUTH I would think falls under this category. Yes, we all want to make CHRIST out to be who we want Him to be and set HIM of our alter as HE fits our needs, but this is a dangerous thing as we are not serving CHRIST CRUCIFIED, but the CHRIST that fits our lives. That brings me to Luke 18:8! Why do you sup[pose Jesus said this?
    Bless you brother! I appreciate your fellowship and pray that your relationship with our Heavenly FATHER continues to grow as you seek the TRUTH.
    In Christ Jesus,
    immo

11 Peter 3:4…….. Knowing this first, that there shall come in the last days scoffers, walking after their own lusts, And saying, Where is the promise of his coming? for since the fathers fell asleep, all things continue as they were from the beginning of the creation.

Amo 5:19 As if a man did flee from a lion, and a bear met him; or went into the house, and leaned his hand on the wall, and a serpent bit him.

But and if that evil servant shall say in his heart, My lord delayeth his coming; And shall begin to smite his fellowservants, and to eat and drink with the drunken; The lord of that servant shall come in a day when he looketh not for him, and in an hour that he is not aware of, And shall cut him asunder, and appoint him his portion with the hypocrites: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.
      (Mat 24:48-51)

Scoffers shall scoff as the days grow darker and say in their hearts ” where is the promise of His coming.” They may well not say it out loud but the hearts grow cold as they only truly believe in what they can see. Will the Lord find faith on the earth? Who shall trust in Him in the darkest of days and not fall upon their own understanding? ………………..bro Frank

7. Very inspiring