I am just a sinner saved by grace

Posted by appolus on February 8, 2016

I am just a sinner saved by grace. Now I understand what people mean when they say that but to me it is firmly in the negative column and is a pendulum swing too far. We who know and love the Lord are more than conquerors in Christ Jesus. We are sons and daughters of the Living God and His love and thoughts towards us cannot be measured. He has raised us up to heavenly places, He causes us to walk in His kingdom and not the kingdom of the world. Ours is no mere legal fiction, ours is a glorious living reality and I believe that the greater part of Christendom has forgotten that. When was the last time any of us heard the song ” Victory in Jesus,” or ” Stand up stand up for Jesus ye soldiers of the Cross.”

How we view ourselves is very important and no hyper grace or prosperity teacher should rob us of our glorious truth just because they mis-interpret it for fleshly gain. Our identity, who we see ourselves as, is vital. When you say I am a sinner saved by grace, you have just identified yourself as a sinner. No, if genuinely saved, you’re a child of the Living God. And if you are a child of God then the world will see the fruit of it, not perfection, but it will see the fruits of your salvation. I genuinely believe that this phrase ” I am just a sinner saved by grace,” is a phrase that was invented to explain the “carnal Christian.”

I have found that the same people who use this phrase love to talk about Romans 7. They use Romans 7 to justify their own lives as if Romans 7 was the last chapter in that book. Oh wretched man that I am is no rallying cry to the Body of Christ. I thank God that Paul continues on and says that there is therefore no condemnation for those who are in Christ. We who are in Christ are free from the law of sin and death. The righteousness of the law is fulfilled in us who walk after and in the Spirit of the Lord.

But if the Spirit of him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you, he that raised up Christ from the dead shall also quicken your mortal bodies by his Spirit that dwelleth in you.(Rom 8:11)

For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God. For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father. The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God: And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer with him, that we may be also glorified together. (Rom 8:14-17)

Do you see it brothers and sisters, do you see your identity? A child of the Living God. An heir of God and joint heirs with Christ. God is our Father and we have the glorious privilege of coming before His throne and crying out “Father.”

Moreover whom he did predestinate, them he also called: and whom he called, them he also justified: and whom he justified, them he also glorified. What shall we then say to these things? If God be for us, who can be against us? (Rom 8:30-31)

Can you see what you have been called to? You have been justified in the eyes of God and He has shared His glory with you, you have been glorified. The God of all that exists is for you, for you, not against you. This is the word of God. And do you know who desperately does not want you to ever grasp that? The enemy of your soul. He would be at peace all day long if he heard the children of God identify themselves as “just,” a sinner saved by Grace. These are not the words of warriors, soldiers in the army of God. These are the words of people who have no real desire to glorify God. We as children of the living God are sanctified vessels whose chief aim is to glorify the living God. We are called to be living epistles read of men. When men read our ” book,’ what will be the title? Will it be ” Merely a sinner saved by Grace?” Or will our books title be “To the Glory of God on High.”

Here is the thing brothers and sisters. I believe we get to title our own books. What is the title to the book of your life? Will it be Victory? Will it be glory to God? Will it be over-comer? Will it be child of the most High? Will it be Living stone? Will it be Dearly Beloved? Will it be Apple of His Eye? Will it be More than Conquerors? What will it be? Will you walk in victory? Will you glorify God? Will you overcome and endure for His namesake? Will you identify yourself as a child of the Living God who is a living stone rightly shaped to fit into the temple that houses His glory? Do you know that you are dearly beloved and the price of that love was Calvary? You are the apple of His eye, never be tempted to take on the mantle of ” sinner,” under any circumstances. You tell the world of His glory and you confess to your Father in heaven your sins. He is faithful and true to forgive His children, let us be faithful and true to give Him all the glory for the wonderful things that He has done for us.

10 Responses to “I am just a sinner saved by grace”

1. immo51 said

Amen Brother, thank you for the Spirit-filled words that we all need to live by and be an example to the world. To God be the Glory! What a beautiful life we are blessed to be a part of. Lift up the cross of Jesus!

2. Kay Fulmer said

Bro Frank, Thank you for this Truth! I have never thought about that phrase, but all you wrote is so true. I an a Child of God, joint-heirs with Jesus. I need to never forget that fact.

3. KMH said

Thanks Brother Frank,
    I am so sad. I just returned from Seattle where I visited my 22 year old daughter. She moved there a few months ago and has been visiting churches but can find no food. We went to a church but it was all flesh. The pastor was angry that the congregation would not serve his system, but I am sure the congregants were looking to get their own needs met in this system. There was absolutely NO community let alone love. I looked around at these young men and women and thought, “Lord, what will happen to Christianity in just 10 years?”
    I have been wrestling with why is there no “dying to flesh” teaching? Sure, there are lists of do and don’t do, but there is no accountability and community and love in the church anymore. I live in Los Angeles and most churches do not even have Sunday School (or if they do, they are country clubs). Does anyone know of good fellowship around Los Angeles and/or Seattle areas? Does anyone even want accountability anymore? or is sitting in sin ok because we are saved?
    Jesus did not die so we could have cheap grace. He did not die so we could look just like the world. He rose! We are NEW creations! We are to be conforming to Him and transforming and renewing daily!!! This is our goal – to be like HIM!
    Lawlessness and apostasy in the last days are in the church! Unfortunately, God’s judgement is allowing the enemy to blind the eyes of His disobedient children. Honestly, I do not know how to live out the good news in church community anymore. I am just gleaning daily bread crumbs.

2 Corinthians 4:11-12
    For we who live are constantly being delivered over to death for Jesus’ sake that the life of Jesus also may be manifested in our mortal flesh. So death works in us – but life in you.

Watchman Nee on this subject:

I don’t mean to keep giving you links, but truly I feed off these and want to share the food.

Sorry… one more link if you want to read a truly amazing Spirit filled life story:

Dear sister, please dont worry about sharing links, they are a blessing and 2 Cor 4:11-12 is one of my favorites because it encapsulates so much of who we are and who we are called to be and why, all for His glory. Yes it is a sad state of affairs, Chistendom in general, and judgment has begun at our doors. That was one of the reasons I wrote the book last year ” The Fall of Christendom,” for the very reasons you just stated. I wanted to give the saints some insight into its state and why this has befallen it as the Lord showed me. I will ask around and see if I know anyone who knows of any gatherings in the Seattle area. God bless you sister and may the Lord encourage you in your spirit. These are heady days, days in which we have simply been called to ” stand.” Stand fast sister…………….bro Frank

• KMH said

Your words of recognition and encouragement are like the balm of Gilead to my soul. I just returned from my fellowship group with a few close believer friends and they basically told me to just find a church and serve. This is the way things are, and I should get used to it.
        I wonder, have we in the American church substituted our comfort and security for the Spirit and His glory? Jesus wants us to live on the edge and trust the Spirit, listen and obey (that is what the Rees Howel link above, is all about). We are basically training for reigning! But instead, we look for systems (Baals) to hold onto so we can trust our systems to provide what we need and not God. Thus a powerless church.
        I heard a funny story. A Christian lady in India was invited to come to the US by an American missionary for a visit and to speak. She said “Oh! I cannot go to America! You have too many idols everywhere!” The missionary looked at her confused. She said, “As soon as I get off the plane, I see restaurants, entertainment theaters, and billboards for everything one could ever want for one’s flesh!”

Sister you write………”I wonder, have we in the American church substituted our comfort and security for the Spirit and His glory?” That’s a powerful statement and for the most part I would say that you are right on the money………..bro Frank

4. Amen brother. We are actually transformed into a new being, we are children of God now, not of wrath. God has given us a NEW heart, not just forgiven the old heart.