A man without a country!

Posted by appolus on April 24, 2015

6450_11661353136828_bigthumbI moved to the States from Scotland in 1990. I was 26. I came to Christ a year later. After several years in America a strange thing began to happen in me and it was very unsettling. After visiting Scotland I knew I could never go ” home.” I did not belong there any more, I had moved on. Yet, I did not feel like I belonged here in the States either. I felt like a stateless person. After months of soul-searching I realized that I was actually a pilgrim and that I was on my way home to my heavenly kingdom. I was an am truly a sojourner here on this earth, belonging wholly to God and to the Kingdom of God that is and yet is to come.

Strangely enough, I would have to deal with that feeling again and it was way more unsettling and took much longer to come to terms with. I started out my Christian life as a Pentecostal for lack of a better term. My mother had attended the Assemblies of God when I was a child and was a “tongue speaking Holy Ghost Christian.” Now I did not attend that church as a child, my father was a Catholic and detested my mothers faith and so I attended the Catholic church for most of my childhood. Yet, I knew the difference. I had witnessed my mothers transformation when she ” found Jesus.” It was total and radical and had a profound effect on me. So when I came to Christ at the age of 27, it was natural for me to seek out a ” Pentecostal,” church which I did. I myself was ” baptized in the Holy Spirit,” about eight months after being radically transformed in the new birth. I want to state that my born again experience was way more radical than my baptism in the Holy Spirit. It was life changing and profound and seemed to change my very DNA. I actually had a new heart, one that was capable of love. God took a profoundly dysfunctional man, addicted to drugs and alcohol and food and sex and every type of excess and turned it all around. It was a miracle of enormous proportions, this new birth, this resurrection from the dead and I praise God above all things for it.

My baptism in the Holy Spirit was radical. To me it was as if God had created this brand new car, unique and excellent design, but now had supplied the gasoline for it to go. I did speak in tongues and I could hear God speak to me and teach me in my spirit. Sometimes I would simply remain silent in the dark for an hour and the Holy Spirit would be unveiling the Scriptures to me. It was like I was sitting at His feet as He expounded the Scriptures, it was wonderful. Another major aspect of this baptism was boldness to share. This was a fundamental aspect of the baptism of the Holy Spirit for me. Last and perhaps least was the speaking and singing in tongues. So that was who I was.

Very shortly after I got saved, things like the “Toronto blessing,” began to occur and filter into our area in Kansas. I was deeply troubled in my spirit by what I saw first hand and heard. Our church had many house groups and I had been a regular part of one for over five years. I walked in one night and we were to watch a video that night. I found out that it was a video of a service at Toronto where “holy laughter,” was taking place. I groaned in my spirit when I realised this, but it was even worse when the video was turned on. It was as if I could hear the devil himself laughing at Christians, there was such a mocking aspect to the laughing. Right there began my separation from the Pentecostal churches. I wandered around various churches but if it were not this laughter and so on it was the prosperity message or the word of faith message, all of that was completely offensive to my spirit.

In 2000 I decided to go to Bible College. The Lord directed me to a Baptist College and as I was a lover of the Word I just ate it up and did very well as far as grades and such. Not bad for a man who had left school at 15. Yet, it was not long before I got hauled before the dean of students for answers that I had given in a test. I was aware of their ” anti gift,” policy when I entered the college, but I was following the Lord’s lead and I had met and admired many of the teachers there for their love of the word and their profound knowledge of it. I had thought in my spirit that what the world needed was ” Bapticostals,” men with a profound love of Gods Word and who were also baptized in the Holy Spirit, what an unstoppable force I thought that would make. The dean questioned me on my answers about the sign gifts and explained that they were a cessasionist college and that they could never graduate me based on my answers. I had prayed about this meeting before going and the Lord was with me and gave me wisdom beyond my own capacity. The dean just got more uncomfortable as the presence of the Lord filled the room, it was quite remarkable. I walked out of that office still a student in that college. The dean of the whole college would often pass me in the corridors and would say with genuine affection ” we are all praying for you Frank.”

After I left college I was involved with a non-denominational church for about nine years and involved with various aspects of revival ministry and met men from wide and varied backgrounds. I met some wonderful men and many religious men. I found that those wonderful men were almost always those who had been genuinely baptized in the Holy Spirit and they had so much grace as they worked beside and dealt with those who were not. Time and again God would be moving and the religious men would rise up and cause a controversy and quench the Spirit. All of this has led to a slow and gradual sifting of my own life as I have tried to figure out where I belong.

Here is what i know. I belong in and to the Kingdom of God. I believe that there is a road, a very narrow road that runs through this world. It is a Kingdom road meaning that it leads Kingdom saints home. The saints, the sojourners, the pilgrims, the displaced people who I have met on this road have been a wonderful source of blessing. People so sold out to the truth that they have found out that in this day and age they belong nowhere. They are men and women without a country but belonging to a Kingdom. As they go deeper into the truth they find less and less place in this world. As Jesus began to reveal who He was in John chapter six, He soon began to thin out the crowd. A multitude was turned into a handful. The Revelation of Christ is at hand. As the days proceed and the darkness falls then the saints will find themselves on a lonelier and lonelier narrow path and there will be very few on it. A.W.Tozer writes……….

“The loneliness of the Christian results from his walk with God in an ungodly world, a walk that must often take him away from the fellowship of good Christians as well as from the unregenerate world. His God-given instincts cry out for companionship with others who can understand his longings, his aspirations, and his absorption in his love for Christ; and because within his circle of friends there are so few who share his inner experiences he is forced to walk alone. The man who has passed on into the divine Presence in actual inner experience will not find many who understand him.”

As this world gets more ungodly and as the world invades the churches of our lands then the path can only get narrower for the saint. His feelings of isolation can only increase. He will know indeed that he is a man without a country. It will be unsettling and trying but his inner experience with God, his love for Truth and his total devotion to it will drive him on. Paradoxically he will find that the more isolated he gets by necessity,(not by any kind of anger or bitterness) the closer he will find himself to God. His struggles will be mainly coming to terms with his present reality. And so brother or sister, if you find yourself in such a situation or you can relate in any way to my own journey, I just want to encourage you this day. Determine in your heart of hearts to follow the small still voice. Let the Holy Spirit and the Word of God guide you step by step. Never compromise the truth as it has been revealed to you. We will give an account to God for our own walk, we will not be judged by the opinions of men.

For 2000 years saints of God had to stand true in an evil day and millions paid for that by their very lives. The greatest evil day of all will soon be upon us. Right has become wrong and day has become night. This is all the more reason to stand strong upon the Lord and follow Him though none go with you. In this your light shines and you are salt to the earth, even if it means you are hated on all sides. The carrying of the cross is a lonely business and Jesus carried it alone. He overcame and has enabled and equipped us to overcome. May God bless you this day.

12 Responses to “A man without a country!”

1. Kathleen said

Thank you for sharing your journey. It parallels my own in results if not in the details. How thankful I am for our faithful Father for His promise to work in every one of His legitimate children. And thankful that we are not alone even though we feel alone…we are just on a road where others are few and far between. You are one who has let me know this. Thank you!

Amen sister, a fellow sojourner…..bro Frank

• Not Alone said

Understanding more and more the name that I felt God gave us years ago that was eventually used for our blog that I later felt He called us to create… As a couple, we have been on an incredibly solitary journey through the desert, being unindoctrinated and unchurched, learning to measure everything by the Word, never finding a “home” to call our own… but we know that Home is coming, praise Him!! HE is coming!

I just reblogged a dream I had (exactly 3 years ago!) that was stirred afresh in me as I read this post and more of Tozer’s words on the Loneliness of the Saint last night. It resonated so strongly with me and my husband, to the point of tears. No matter the loneliness, we must stay on the narrow and hard Way!

Amen sister, God bless you and your husband. It is such a powerful force that drives the saints who seek to walk in a simple, Biblical but profound way. To walk away from unbiblical gatherings, on those grounds, tends to bring conviction on those who will not or cannot. To truly measure everything by the Word comes as a gift. And with all deceivableness of unrighteousness in them that perish; because they received not the love of the truth, that they might be saved. And for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie: (2Th 2:10-11) The love of the truth is received from God. Look down through the corridors of time and see in the last 2000 years generation after generation being tested on one thing or another based on the truth of the Word. For a long time is was communion, transubtansiation, true saints could never accept that a piece of bread was Jesus so they stood upon the Word of God and were killed by the millions. In another time it was salvation by faith alone, in another tine it was believers baptism. Gods true saints are lovers of the Truth and are ultimately willing to suffer any price, even the loss of their lives, in order to stand upon the Truth. A fire in the bones. To so many this can never be understood. One either had the love of the Truth coursing through their veins or one does not. The ones who do not are typically the persecutors and accusers of those who do…………..bro Frank

2. abkeyte said

And, may the Lord of all creation bless you my brother! You couldn’t have said it better and this is who we are – after all. It is hard to articulate to those who do not have the same desire for Jesus as we have and they often look upon us as though we are lunatics. I don’t mind so much, but I do feel lonelier and lonelier. And then, I hear from a heart like mine and it all makes sense. Thank you for your faith and your walk! God bless you in the name above every other name – Jesus, the Anointed One!

God bless you too Ab. On my facebook page one of the sisters talked about people looking at her as is she had three heads 🙂 Yes, the loneliness is something that has always been a part of the brother and sister who desires to follow hard after the Lord, in these last days there has certainly been an acceleration of the separation of Gods children, especially as they find the world invading the churches. Yes, God bless you in the name which is above every name………….Jesus!…………….bro Frank

3. Maureen said

Thank you for sharing this . loved it.

4. Thanks for the transparency in pure honesty of Kingdom freedom.
    Many of us experience the same without the artful gift of language to share as you do…

5. Ngozi said

Forgive me for this long comment but these words below,from your article mirror my life to a full stop.

****”The Revelation of Christ is at hand. As the days proceed and the darkness falls then the saints will find themselves on a lonelier and lonelier narrow path and there will be very few on it. A.W.Tozer writes……….

As this world gets more ungodly and as the world invades the churches of our lands then the path can only get narrower for the saint. His feelings of isolation can only increase. He will know indeed that he is a man without a country. It will be unsettling and trying but his inner experience with God, his love for Truth and his total devotion to it will drive him on. Paradoxically he will find that the more isolated he gets by necessity,(not by any kind of anger or bitterness) the closer he will find himself to God. His struggles will be mainly coming to terms with his present reality”.****

I had tears in my eyes as I was reading this. It is me..right now, sitting here, doing ONLY what He tells me to do- with no one to share with, understand.

Another point is, my Father asked me to start this blog (I have another one which He seems to direct differently), a week or so ago and He inspired me to incorporate “My earth Sojourn” into the site name. He started sharing some things about being a sojourner with me and that is basically the point of the blog-where He will lead me with it, I do not know. However, I am utterly surprised that I find your blog through my reader page today and you are talking about being a sojourner (which i describe myself as. I haven’t seen it anywhere else). I simply find it as confirmation because what you have written is so true in my life.

Again (really sorry about the long comment but this post reminds me of a lot), I had a dream some weeks ago that i believe would have what you wrote “The revelation of Christ is at hand” as title, if it were to be titled. I was just taken back to that dream which i still cannot share yet because it is so intense and shocking. I doubt if a lot of people would be able to make sense of it.

All this to say thank you for sharing this post and would like to be able to use the words above (the ones I pasted as part of my comment) from your post at some point. Would you mind that? It is okay either way.

Thank you brother. Happy to read up some more of what our Father has revealed to you.

No apologies needed for the length of your reply sister. Please feel free to quote anything that you find on this site for the purposes of glorifying God. You are not alone, it is a beautiful thing to comprehend is it not? God has His people all over the world and they are scattered and many times they are hidden within congregations, but they are the Body of Christ. The days are coming when more and more can no longer stay within the confines of organized religion. Yet as always, God has His people who have gone on before them and they will be a help to those coming out. Very dark days are very close, the storm clouds can be seen on the horizon and hostility and total hatred is rising all over the world all at once like a great evil incoming tide that threatens and will consume everything. Yet, the light of Christ burning in the chests of men and woman, can never be snuffed out even as we are being led as lambs to the slaughter all the day long and the greatest light of all, our Lord and Saviour Jesus is almost at the door……………….bro Frank