Walking through fields of Fire

Posted by appolus on October 22, 2011

Have you ever walked through fields of fire, have you ever felt that your walk through this life is like walking on coals of fire? Do you ever stretch out your hands towards heaven and just long to be away? Does the sin and the pain of the world, perhaps your world, just seem to sweep in like the tide and cover everything?

Do you ever cry out ” take me up a little higher Lord?” Above the din and the noise, above the narrowness of the path, above the darkness of a world covered by the clouds of its humanity? Does your spirit ever drop little clues that beyond that which we can see is a world that is beyond the darkness? A shaft of light penetrates the clouds and your heart is warmed to know that beyond the clouds its true, there is a perpetual blue sky?

Have you seen this perpetual blue sky? Has your eyes glimpsed the glory of God in whom there is no darkness? Have you seen the Son? Has the Spirit of the Living God said ” just a little further?” Can you hear a cloud of witnesses saying ” get up, get up , finish the race brother, finish the race” There is a higher ground brothers and sisters, we journey ever upwards on the narrow difficult path that leads onwards and upwards towards the high calling of Christ Jesus. From the heights of Calvary, back into the deepest valley and onto the narrowest of paths where all is stripped away. Lift up your heads brothers and sisters, for our glory is upward, our glory is high and lifted up. Finish the race, and all the scars of this brutal life will be healed, every tear wiped away, never again to walk in the darkness of a dying world, but to dwell in the light of the Son that outshines the sun. Lift up your hands, cleansed, open up your hearts, purified and continue to ascend.

I walk through fields of fire
With coals of fire beneath my feet
I sail through stormy waters
Guided by the mercy seat

The brimstones shortly coming
You must flee now from the wrath
For fire falls down from heaven
Yet I am guided by His staff

The narrow path through valleys dark
Leads onward to the hill
And all around the mountains fall
But our Lord says ” be still.”

Come higher now ascend the hill
My God atop He stands
And looks to see the pure in heart
To see those with clean hands

Who is this King lift up your head
And sing with all your might
The King of Glory is His name
His light defeats the night

He is God’s Son, the Holy One
He puts and end to death and sin
Fall to your knees, lift up your hands
And the King of Glory shall come in!

13 Responses to “Walking through fields of Fire”

1. martin said

Yes, this is what is in my heart. Just today I was feeling I want to be away with the Lord. There is so little on this plain that appeals to me. I am no lover of the things of this world. Oh, for the mind of Christ. All day I see all around the people with their minds on trivial things and not seeking God. I am an alien and a stranger here. Lead us up your mountain oh Lord.

Martin

That is why I love Paul’s response to these thoughts. He knew that the Lord had work for him and it was better for his brothers and sisters that he stay. There is joy in our walk with the Lord for we have moments in His presence, oasis in the desert, times of refreshing, having our minds renewed, rejoicing in His blessings which are new every morning and rejoicing in HIs steadfast love which never leaves us nor forsakes us. Glory be to the Lord and God of our soul who watches over us. We are indeed aliens and strangers in a foreign land, but we love what He loves and He so loved this world that He gave His only Son, a world of people who have no thoughts for Him, for a people who were yet in their sins. We are His trumpet, His toools, His clay. …………….bro Frank

2. W.E. Smith said

This post causes the spirit in me to ponder the phrase – “the world was not worthy of them”, which of course led me to Hebrews 11 –

And what more shall I say? For time would fail me to tell of Gideon, Barak, Samson, Jephthah, of David and Samuel and the prophets— who through faith conquered kingdoms, enforced justice, obtained promises, stopped the mouths of lions, quenched the power of fire, escaped the edge of the sword, were made strong out of weakness, became mighty in war, put foreign armies to flight. Women received back their dead by resurrection. Some were tortured, refusing to accept release, so that they might rise again to a better life. Others suffered mocking and flogging, and even chains and imprisonment. They were stoned, they were sawn in two,a they were killed with the sword. They went about in skins of sheep and goats, destitute, afflicted, mistreated— of whom the world was not worthy—wandering about in deserts and mountains, and in dens and caves of the earth.

And all these, though commended through their faith, did not receive what was promised, since God had provided something better for us, that apart from us they should not be made perfect. (Hebrews 11)

Thank you Brother Frank for this post, and all of the recent ones that cut so deep. They lift us up out of this present reality, into the very presence and reality of the Lord. We need more of this, and I thank Him for you my brother.

Wayne

“All these were were” strangers and exiles on the earth”? Are we? Is this world our home? Are we comfortable here? Have we settled in, cocooned in our plastic homes and push button lives? Oh Lord help us! Grant us the grace to live “otherly” in this world. This is no in ourselves Lord – we need a touch form heaven, from You Lord! All Hell is rising up and where are your people Lord? Where are we? What have we become? Oh heaven help us! ”

Amen brother Wayne. I have a tremendous vision that I am shortly to publish from my cousin who lives in Wales, in fact he posted above. It speaks to the issues that you raised in your comment and I believe you will be greatly blessed by it……..brother Frank

3. Eileen Eichler said

As always appolus, I loved your poem, but you know the world though alien for us is not always dark.
    I wasn’t sure how to contact you, I hope that you won’t mind my doing so here? I have had a very vivid dream that actually woke me and left me feeling quite agitated for some time.
    You seemed to understand so clearly and at once about the treasures in the darkness that I wondered if I could ask you about this one?…Blessings, Eileen,aka poppie.

Hi Aileen,

I totaly agree with your comment. This post and this poem is merely a snapshot, an overview, the bigger picture so to speak. Its the joy of the Lord that is my strength. When I look at the heavens I see the glory of the Lord. When I see a baby laugh, when I see a sunset or a mountain range I see the beauty that surrounds me. I am at the oceon right now as I type this and I am awed at the majesty and grandeur and vastness of it all. My wife and I have walked every day since we have been here on the beach. To hold the hand on my wife is a beautiful thing. I have a two year old grandson and he has brought me untold happiness. I love to eat a good meal 🙂 I love chocolate 🙂 I love to laugh and I am a bit of a joker. And so sister, I may live in a dying world but I do appreciate the beauty og God’s creation and what He has given to us. What poem were you asking about? You can reach me privately at appolus@aol.com. ………..brother Frank

I wanted to include this reply from another site to this post as it includes two links to a great song and story. Please pray for the family that Lucinda mentioned………..

Thank you appolus for that beautiful poem.

My daughter just sent me this video and think it goes along with your thoughts. There is a world beyong the darkness I’ve seen it. Or should I say I’ve seen HIM!

Before I posted this video my husband called told me that a friend of ours, his son (Jake) jumped from a building head first and committed suicide. He was in his 30’s.

After I prayed and cried out for this precious family I got this email from our daughter with this video. Please remember this family in your prayers.

Blessings

The Story Behind “Blessings”

Much love,
    Lucinda

Member

HI Lucinda, thanks for sharing those videos, awesome song and the story behind the song. I think for many folks, trials come in like a flood and they threaten to sweep us away. Its not just one thing, or even two, sometimes three and more and we cannot see the finish line. I was swimming in the oceon once and I was making for a raft that was moored out about 25 yards from the beach. Did not seem like a long way until I started swimming. The sea was choppy and I tired quickly, then as I went to take a breath I got hit with a wave. I panicked slightly and quickly came back up for another breath and at that precise time I got hit with another wave. I was desperatley searching for a breath, for a break and yet got hit with a third wave. I almost drowned. I have found that life can be like that. One tradgedy or trial hits someone, and while they are trying to recover from that something else happens to them. Some trials do not get settled quickly, some trials do not have happy endings. The reality is, that if you could see the end of a trial then its not a field of fire. Its the trials that seem that they have no end that truly test us. Will we sink and drown? Will we get back up again? Can we continue after something like your friend has just experienced, the death of a child, no matter an adult child, by suicide? There is only one force I know on this earth that can penetrate this kind of darkness, the Lord Jesus Christ Himself. Even if we lie down in a bed in hell, then He will come for those who cry out to Him. Even the darkness will be light to Him for He is light in whom there is no darkness. Only He can save the drowning man or woman, whether in the midst of a raging sea or in the midst of devastating circumstances. Only He can make beauty from the ashes from the fields of fire. He is our only hope and I have felt this light in the midst of darkness and there is no more a beautiful thing that exists. When hope meets hopelessness. When mercy kisses the earth. Oh Lord I pray for this family who have suffered such a tradgedy. Will you shine your light into the darkness of their situation Lord? Will you grab the hands that stretch heavenwards looking for life in the midst of death? I know you will Lord. And when you still the souls, when you still the storms , when you heal the broken hearts, then they will testify to a dying world that they found life in the midst of death……………brother Frank

5. W.E. Smith said

Brother Frank – your apt description of trying to catch a breath as the waves keep rolling over you is so vivid and personal to me at the moment as you know. As I read your post as I was remembering the times we went to the beach as a family, watching my son splash about and play with his little plastic bucket and spade. I remember walking hand in hand with my beautiful wife, talking about the future, making plans, feeling so hopeful, just reveling in the pure and simple joy of it all. These are splendid moments in this life and God is in them to be sure.

Yet all that is gone for me now. All I have is Him! The Lord is my portion, and the one BIG question for any of us is this – Is He enough? If all we have left is Him – will this carry us through, will it fill our hearts and lives?

My brother – I am sorry but I cannot stop weeping lately. I weep for what has been lost, but also for where His Body is at right now. Some of these tears are my own, but I think they are mixing with the tears of our Lord at times.

I am just trying to catch a breath my brother, and yet the waves of sadness and longing keeping rolling over me still. There are times when we really can’t hold onto Him and just have to trust that He is holding on to us. Does this make sense? My faith is not big enough, deep enough. But He loves me still. Faith is a wonderful thing but the greatest of all is love. Despite all that I am, all that I have done and haven’t done, all that I have allowed to slip through my fingers in this life – this will not separate me from His love. Oh how great is this love my brother, and how we need to just cling to this with whatever strength is left. As we find ourselves sinking beneath the waves, a hand reaches down and lifts us up. Faith has failed but His love never will. Peter had to learn this and so do we.

I love you my brother – keep sharing, keep encouraging the saints in this hour, keep letting His life and love flow through you my brother.

6. W.E. Smith said

Brother Frank – As a follow up, I thought I would share this encouraging word form Brother Wilkerson –

FAITH AND LOVE

Let me share some very healing thoughts about faith and love. I believe God works miracles in answer to the prayer of faith. And I believe every promise in God’s Word. But, through much suffering and tears, I have discovered something wonderful about the way God works. What you are about to read should help renew your confidence in the Lord and set you free from the bondage of trying to figure out faith.
    Here are my conclusions:

If you cannot give God perfect faith, give Him perfect love. “Perfect love casts out all fear.” Perfect love is the rest God has for His people. He wants us to rest in His love, trusting that He will always come to our aid as a father to a hurting child in spite of our inadequate faith.

Stop evaluating or grading your faith. And stop trying to figure out faith. The Bible says, “Now abide faith, hope, love, these three; but the greatest of these is love” (1 Corinthians 13:13). If you are going to specialize in anything, specialize in love—faith works by love.

If God does not answer certain of our prayers, we can be sure He has some great eternal reason for not doing so.

It boils down to this: God has all power and can do anything. Nothing is impossible to Him. He has promised to answer every prayer in Christ’s name, so we must ask in full assurance of faith, expecting an answer. But should God delay that answer or choose another path for us, He must have a mighty good reason for it all. And we must believe that whatever God permits in our lives will one day all work to our good (Romans 8:28).

Our heavenly Father knows exactly where we are going and what we need. He will give us what is best, in proper Holy Ghost timing (Matthew 7:11).

God will not permit you to be overcome by your trials. You may come to what you think of as your breaking point, yet you will survive and live to tell of His faithfulness if you will not harden you heart but fall into His arms, trusting His everlasting love.

Dear brother Wayne……………

Isa 30:20 And though the Lord give you the bread of adversity, and the water of affliction, yet shall not thy teachers be removed into a corner any more, but thine eyes shall see thy teachers: affliction: or, oppression
    Isa 30:21 And thine ears shall hear a word behind thee, saying, This is the way, walk ye in it, when ye turn to the right hand, and when ye turn to the left.

Brother I believe that you are in such a place. You have the bread of adveristy and the waters of affliction. No words from any man is going to get you through this. If a word from a brother could alleviate or brong you though this pass then you would not truly be where I know that you are. You are in a place of desperation where only God can deliver. I believe that this is the pace where true deep abiding faith is born. You are certainly in the place where only the hand of God can deliver. I think of the Israelites as their back is to the sea and the mightiest army in the world is bearing down on them, they are surely going to die, for those that hunt them down hate them with a satanic hatred. They cry out to God when all seems hopeless, they wonder if they should have ever left Egypt, they wonder if they should have simply compromised, surely even cruel slavery was better that what was coming upon them. They panic, they cry out and suddenly, its always suddenly,’ God speaks. ” Be still.” And the glory of their God was revealed as He made a way forward when there was no himan way forward.

I think of the fishermen in the boat with Jesus. Fishermen mind you. Men all to aware of the dangers of the sea. Men who would not be easily panicked, men who would know what to do in most situations. Yet here comes a situation in which they knew they were going to die, there was no question about it. How could they die when Jesus was right there in their boat, yet die they were going to because they had summed up the situation and their summation would have been correct. And suddenly God says ” be still,” and a way is made when there was absolutly no way forward.

Brother, you are in that place, a place where you can do nothing. A place where everything has been taken out of your control. A place where there is no way forward, and yuor flesh is right, there is no way forward. And here is where we learn the most vital lesson about faith. For it is in the place where we can do nothing, where all hope is lost, where there is no possible way forward, when we lay down and know that we do not have the fiath to move forward, where God steps in and says ” Be still.” Here is where we learn that even when we are not faithful, when all of our own resources have been depleted, He is faithful. It is His faithfulness that we learn about in this situation. And we learn as we look back ( in cannot be seen in the moment) that He will never leave us nor forsake us. We learn true faith when all of our faith flees us. Its a time of total humiliation, for we learn that their is cerainly an end to our faith but there is no end to His faithfulness. And, like children, we throw up our hands to our heavenly Father for we can do nothing more. Then the bread of adversity become food to our soul. The waters of affliciton become living waters from the throne of Grace. What was meant to kill us, we were supposed to choke on the bread of adversity, we were supposed to drown in the waters of afliciton, become the very elements that strenghthen us for the remaining journey home. What the enemy had meant for destruction, God turns into our salvation and way forward.

I love you brother, and I love everyone who can identify with you in this situation. In my own humanity I would deliver you right now from this situation, I would rescue you brother if I could, but I am without strenght. I can do nothing but weep with you. Yet I promise you this, when the Lord makes a way when there seems to be know way, I will rejoice with you. I will rejoice when the Lord uses you mightily for there is a purpose in this although it will be impossible to see this now. God bless you brother, we will talk about these times one day, whether in this world or in the next, and we will marvle at His grace and His faithfulness to us, His dearest children. I believe that the Lord weeps to to see His children so distressed, to see what they cannot , the future, He knows the plans He has for you………………brother Frank

8. W.E. Smith said

Bless you and thank you brother, for this loving and encouraging word.

A Word from and to the Lord –

Oh blessed Lord, help us in the parched and thirsty place to feed on on Your faithfulness, to merely allow your abiding love to wash over us. We are helpless Oh Lord, and our hands fall feebly at our sides, for You have, in Your great love and wisdom, brought us to this straight place. Like Jacob, with his brother our ahead and his uncle behind him. Like Israel, with Pharaoh’s horsemen behind and the see out ahead. Like Elijah running for his very life, all alone. Like our Lord Himself, denied and abandoned by His friends, betrayed by His own, and hated by His very people. You Lord, are our ever-present help in times of distress; there is a stream that flows through this desert; there is life abiding here. Though it is faith that reveals this to us. It is not our strength Lord that brings us through the fire, not our love for You, not even what we know to be true. It is Your Faithfulness alone. Your Unfailing Love!

You have claimed us and written our names in Your Book. We are counted as Your very own, and Your Word and Your Love cannot fail! Oh Lord it just cannot fail or fall short. Let Your love wash over us Lord, Let it lift us up above the tide, above the storm, above the pain and confusion. Bring us to a broad place Oh Lord, to Your verdant and over-flowing garden where life abounds, the every life of our God! How great is Your Love for us! How wonderful is Your grace! How beautiful are Your hands that hold us Lord, How precious is Your shining face! Touch us Dear Lord, move our hardened hearts towards Thee, not away from Thee in this time of testing! Oh how you chasten us in Your great Love – how you scourge your little ones! How pressing is Your sore discipline…. Yet in Thee alone we find our home, our place, our purpose, our life.

Oh Lord, tear away the scales from our eyes and our hearts, tear then all away Lord, that as little children we may come to Thee and rest our weary heads on Your bosom. It is only in Your love that we are home, that we will find our way, that joy and song to fill our empty hearts. We praise Thee Oh Lord, we lift up our hands to Thee and we lay down our lives for Thee. For in your hands is Your bottle, and therein fall all the tears of your precious little ones – oh such a great sea of tears Lord, such a great sea of tears. You know Lord, You know.

We surrender our brokenness, our lost-ness, our utter helplessness. We give to Thee this soul-deep hunger and thirst, that you might satisfy us oh Lord, with the Lord Jesus, the very Righteousness of God! Though all seems lost, though the night is black and even the stars have faded – this blessed hope remains! Come Lord Jesus Come! Come back for us! Not because we are worthy – but because You alone are worthy and deserve the full reward of Your suffering! Fulfill the Father’s Joy Oh Lord! Satisfy the eternal desire of His heart, that all things would be summed up in Thee! All things, nothing remaining! Even ourselves, our lives, our hopes and dreams, all that we are and all that we love – let it be summed up in Thee Lord Jesus!

No more Oh Lord, no more. No more striving, no more Jacob, no more of our own weakness, our own futility, always leading to failure. Change us Oh Lord, Turn us inside out and upside down! Oh Lord we know, we know there are idols hidden in our hearts, just as Rachel had hidden them in her tent. We know we are holding so much back, just as Ananias – we said we would give everything, our very lives, yet we hold so much back from Thee Lord. Oh but Lord, you alone must be our first and last, our beginning and our end, the very reason we breathe and live and walk in this life!

Lord, take my son – take Him Oh Lord! Oh Lord I am so sorry, I have loved Him too much, too deeply. Take my life Lord. I am so sorry for holding so much back from Thee! Everything in me is so imperfect, so stained,so broken. Yet Your Love Oh Lord, how great is this love! I reach out my hands and my heart to Thee Lord, to receive, to simply and merely receive. I lay down all my bible knowledge, all the words, all the concepts, all the religion, all these high things – and just pray you would love me Lord, and that I would know once and for all in my wretched life that I am LOVED, that despite all that I am and have done – You LOVE ME!

Oh Lord, I lift up all your little ones reading these words, all the pain, all the impossible things, all the blood, the sweat and tears – and I just ask Lord that You would do a mighty thing in all of them! Save us in Your great love and faithfulness Lord. Gather us together as a hen gathers her chicks. All fear, all hopelessness, all anguish, all misery, all the chains, all the chains! Let them fall Lord, In Your Name! Let them come crashing down in Your great mercy and kindness! Oh how we need You, Oh how we love You Lord! We love You merely because you have first loved us! Faith, hope and love – yet the greatest of these is LOVE! Faith will falter. Hope will fade – but Your love never will Oh Lord! Your Love never will.

Amen

How great is your love indeed. A better question would be ” How vast is the universe?”

Oh love without ending
      As vast as the sea
      Oh mercy divine
      Forever it will be

Oh infinite grace
      It has no end
      Eternal redemption
      The heavens you’ll rend

And all these flow
      From a mountain so high
      That it reaches the heavens
      And bursts through the sky

When I survey
      The heavens above
      I’m awed by the vastness
      I’m awed by your love