Walking in the Spirit

Posted by appolus on June 29, 2010

WALKING IN THE SPIRIT

Rom 8:1 There is therefore now no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus, who walk not according to the flesh but according to the Spirit.
What does it mean to walk according to the Spirit?

To me, walking in the Spirit is walking in fulfillment of His word. When someone offends me, but I do not take the offence, I am walking in the Spirit. When I am insulted , yet I do not care because I am dead to my own self, when I love when naturally I should not, when I should be angry, but anger quickly gives way to love and forgiveness, then I am walking in the Spirit.When I have something against a brother, or know that he has something against me and I go to that brother and reach out to him, then I am walking in the Spirit. When I agree with someone who attacks me, rather than defend myself, then I am walking in the Spirit.

When I look upon a woman, not with lust but with purity, when I would rather pluck out my eye than offend my Holy God, when all men know that my word is my bond, that I do not have to attach oaths to my word, then I am walking in the Spirit.When I am assaulted and I turn the other cheek, if I am robbed of my wallet, and I reach into my pocket and give my robber all that I have, when I can bless those who curse me, and pray for those who hate me without cause, then I am walking in the Spirit.If I can love , not only those who love me, but those who hate me, when I do a good thing for someone and I make sure no one knows about it, when I talk to my Lord all day long, whispering loving thoughts to Him, then I am walking in the Spirit.

When I fast, and no one knows about it, when I refuse to be anxious, when I make a conscious decision to do all things by prayer and supplication and thanksgiving, when I judge others by the same standard that I judge myself, then I am walking in the Spirit.When two paths open up before me, and I choose the narrow one, when I do all these things and men know me because of them, when disaster strikes my life and my response is to praise my Father in Heaven and lift up the name of Jesus, then I am walking in the Spirit.As I do all these things and a peace that is beyond understanding fills me completely, then I know that I am walking in the Spirit of the Living God and my heart literally burns within my chest. And as it burns, it gives off a light that men can see and they are drawn to Christ in me. When this happens, I know that I am walking in the Spirit!

Doctrinal correctness, theological knowledge, its all information. And without the Spirit of the Lord it is dead orthodoxy. It is illumination of the Word, and by that I mean it is the Holy Spirit working in us for His good pleasure that prompts us in a certain direction. When we respond to that prompting, then we are walking in the Spirit. All the things I mentioned above I would never do. In fact, my nature is such that I would do the exact opposite for most of the examples and be applauded by my culture. My only part in this is to yield to the inner workings of the Spirit. It must come from the inside out. If it comes from the outside in, then I will eventually cry out “Oh wretched man that I am.’ The problem is that for long periods of time we cannot tell if a man’s outward piety comes from the inside out or the outside in. Time and circumstances will of course tell the story. The man who operates and lives his life by dead orthodoxy and tries to accomplish a Christ like life from the outside in, will eventually, or sooner or later, fall to pride and then fall as he ultimately fails. If we try an accomplish the commandments of God in our own strength, then we will utterly fail in short order, or have some success and self-righteousness and then utterly fail. This can take one year, but I have also seen it take 30 years.

My part is to surrender and yield to the Spirit that is within me. I must also be able to hear that small still voice that leads and guides me. I must also be genuine in all that I do, my outward actions must be a reflection of my inner state. That right there is the difference between life and death. I must cultivate my relationship with Jesus because my ability to walk in the Spirit is directly tied to Christ in me and my relationship with Him. I must be able to come into His presence. It is only by walking in His presence, walking in the Spirit, that I can be used of Him to be light to the darkness. Experiencing His presence actually, as opposed to believing a theological truth, having a faith in information, giving a mental assent to an abstract truth is also the difference between Spiritual life and a fleshly life.

10 Responses to “Walking in the Spirit”

1. Good word dear brother.

Thanks bro :)………..Frank

3. Melissa said

Great Message! Perfect timing as well. I was discussing this subject with my husband last night. This certainly sheds light on my limited understanding of the subject. Thank You!

Hi Melissa, glad that you and your husband was blessed by this piece. May the Lord bless you today………….Frank

4. Adelheid said

Thanks.this is powerful.i wil want 2 share it to my friends as wel

5. Tina Angel said

I bless God ds article & making mi understnd ow & wot it teks 2 wk in Hs spirit. I’m movd by ds. Thank yu Jesus.

6. Terry said

Walking in the Spirit is something God has shown me perhaps 10 or 12 years ago as I read Romans 8 especially the first 15 verses or so. I have strived to do this ever since then, but must admit my efforts have fallen far short of what you speak of here. My efforts at this have been more like praying myself into the presence of God and trying to stay there. As in Jude 1:20-21 or where John says he was in the Spirit in Rev. 1:9-10.

But you have shown me how walking in the Spirit should also fill our life outside these times of seeking God’s presence. As in Romans 12:1-2 and Heb 6:1-2 it would seem to me that for myself the more time I spend seeking God’s face the closer I will draw to Him and be able to walk in the Spirit more frequently. Also lately God has been showing me that I need to sanctify some hidden areas which displease him.

Bro. Frank I am in awe of you. I am afraid if I were as successful as you in this I would quickly be overthrown by pride.

Terry

7. Terry said

For a believer to truly walk in the Spirit is I believe the fulfillment of Jesus’ coming in the NT until his return for the saints. For this reason we are born again. This is the peace and rest of God which He speaks of in Heb. 3 & 4.
    Heb 3:7  Wherefore (as the Holy Ghost saith, To day if ye will hear his voice,
    Heb 3:8  Harden not your hearts, as in the provocation, in the day of temptation in the wilderness:
    Heb 3:9  When your fathers tempted me, proved me, and saw my works forty years.
    Heb 3:10  Wherefore I was grieved with that generation, and said, They do alway err in their heart; and they have not known my ways.
    Heb 3:11  So I sware in my wrath, They shall not enter into my rest.)
    Heb 3:12  Take heed, brethren, lest there be in any of you an evil heart of unbelief, in departing from the living God.
    Heb 3:13  But exhort one another daily, while it is called To day; lest any of you be hardened through the deceitfulness of sin.
    Heb 3:14  For we are made partakers of Christ, if we hold the beginning of our confidence stedfast unto the end;
    Heb 3:15  While it is said, To day if ye will hear his voice, harden not your hearts, as in the provocation.
    Heb 3:16  For some, when they had heard, did provoke: howbeit not all that came out of Egypt by Moses.
    Heb 3:17  But with whom was he grieved forty years? was it not with them that had sinned, whose carcases fell in the wilderness?
    Heb 3:18  And to whom sware he that they should not enter into his rest, but to them that believed not?
    Heb 3:19  So we see that they could not enter in because of unbelief.

8. Terry said

Actually Hebrews 3 is not complete without Hebrews 4:
    Heb 4:1  Let us therefore fear, lest, a promise being left us of entering into his rest, any of you should seem to come short of it.
    Heb 4:2  For unto us was the gospel preached, as well as unto them: but the word preached did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in them that heard it.
    Heb 4:3  For we which have believed do enter into rest, as he said, As I have sworn in my wrath, if they shall enter into my rest: although the works were finished from the foundation of the world.
    Heb 4:4  For he spake in a certain place of the seventh day on this wise, And God did rest the seventh day from all his works.
    Heb 4:5  And in this place again, If they shall enter into my rest.
    Heb 4:6  Seeing therefore it remaineth that some must enter therein, and they to whom it was first preached entered not in because of unbelief:
    Heb 4:7  Again, he limiteth a certain day, saying in David, To day, after so long a time; as it is said, To day if ye will hear his voice, harden not your hearts.
    Heb 4:8  For if Jesus had given them rest, then would he not afterward have spoken of another day.
    Heb 4:9  There remaineth therefore a rest to the people of God.
    Heb 4:10  For he that is entered into his rest, he also hath ceased from his own works, as God did from his.
    Heb 4:11  Let us labour therefore to enter into that rest, lest any man fall after the same example of unbelief.
    Heb 4:12  For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.
    Heb 4:13  Neither is there any creature that is not manifest in his sight: but all things are naked and opened unto the eyes of him with whom we have to do.
    Heb 4:14  Seeing then that we have a great high priest, that is passed into the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold fast our profession.
    The true believer must come into God’s rest as evidence of their conversion. And Jesus came to give peace…….