Dundee Annie

Posted by appolus on February 20, 2008

Who is your “Dundee Annie,”? Who do you go out of your way to avoid because they are nasty or unapproachable? It is a Spiritual fact that we are surrounded by those who are bleeding, beaten, dying, victims of this world. Seriously wounded men and woman are all around us, in the world and in the church. What spirit do you have?

DUNDEE ANNIE

Jeremiah writes” I will turn their mourning into gladness;
I will give them comfort and joy instead of sorrow.”

In a famous parable, the Lord tells us of the good Samaritan. We all know that the religious men hurry on by and it is the “Samaritan,” that aids and comforts that unfortunate that lay bleeding and beaten and robbed beside the highway.

A minister friend of my parents back in Scotland was Pastor of a church in a small Scottish town. One of the “characters,’ of this town was “Dundee Annie.” No one really knew how she got her name, but everyone knew she must be avoided at all costs. She was always drunk and cursed and abused anyone that happened to come into her path.

The townspeople knew to avoid her and keep their heads down as they passed her on the other side of the street. The Pastor friend had learned to cross to the other side of the street well in advance of passing her and to keep his head down, thus avoiding a verbal onslaught.

The Pastor received news that he was to have a young minister in training from Australia come and stay with him, for about a year. He was glad to have the company and on his arrival he made him very welcome. The day after his arrival the young minister said he would like to walk into town and perhaps meet some of the townspeople. The Pastor said he would accompany him but the young minister asked if he would mind if he went alone. Several hours passed and there was no sign of the young minister. It was only a couple of miles into town and he should have been back long ago.

So the Pastor, slightly irked, got his raincoat on and headed into town to find the young minister. He arrived in town, and walking down the main road, saw in the distance two figures sitting on the sidewalk, or the gutter as it is called in Scotland. There was his young minister with his arm around the shoulder of Dundee Annie. She was weeping because the young man had shared with her that Jesus loved her very much and that He had come to earth to save her. She looked up at the Pastor and them back to the minister and said “nobody has ever told me that.”

Is yours the spirit of the religious men? Do you hurry on by, not wanting to get involved? We are here on this earth, to aid and comfort those who need it. In the darkness of a wounded world, we are the light which brings comfort and healing to those who are wounded.

Perhaps you walk on by because you are wounded yourself. To touch the pain of others is to touch your own pain. If you seek to save your life, Jesus says, you will lose it. If you lose your life you will gain eternal life. The word life here in the Greek is not “bios,” meaning our actual life, but rather it is ,”psyche,” which is referring to the soul or very heart.

If we are to be people of God, we must let go, let die, the image that we have created for the world, and discover ourselves at the very heart of our being. Our own wounds will be exposed in the process, but as we allow ourselves to be vulnerable to Him, then He will change us from the inside out. Next time your tempted to walk on by the guy nobody likes in the office, die to yourself and be bold in your love and just see what unfolds. This will require His wisdom and love, not that of the world, it will be dangerous, but everything worth fighting for carries danger, go on, take a chance today and in doing so, your own healing will begin to take place.

6 Responses to “Dundee Annie”

1. timbob said

Greetings. What an eye-opening post. Too often we strive to avoid unpleaseant circumstances without taking into consideration, the eternal souls who desperately need Jesus. They need someone who will take time to get involved, as was the case with Dundee Annie. How imperative it is for us to maintain an eternal perspective on things.

Have a blessed day in Jesus.

timbob.

Hi Timbob, how true. I am so glad that my Lord is the Lord of Dundee Annie. For the Lord discovered me in the gutters of life, He picked me up, took me home, bathed me and bound up my many wounds. He did not despise my appearance , but saw some potential where apparently there was none, He loved me as I was and in doing so changed me to what I am and continues to change me to all that He wants me to be. He is soooo good and His mercy endures foerever………Frank

3. micey said

another awesome post! thanks for sharing your heart and also the heart of the Lord! 🙂

This is the heart of the Lord. He loves all but He particularly loves those whom society has rejected………Frank

5. faithwalk said

Frank, this is such a good post and so relevant to my life right now. I was thinking of this very thing this morning as I was getting ready for work. I spend my day with a bunch of car salesmen; not exactly the most honored profession in the world. But God has given me many opportunities to share the love of Christ with them and they open up and talk about lives and faith ( or lack of it ).
    But one of the sisters at work in another department -who really does love the Lord-, was talking with me about some of the guys who use drugs and basically writing them off. But I see hope for them, I see potential. Some are seekers.
    None are too lost for Jesus to save and transform their lives.

It’s strange but as I read this post I could so clearly see the streets of Dundee, and other cities in Scotland as well. I do trust we will be there before the years end;my heart and spirit are often there and I miss it, as you must being it’s your home.

Thank you for all the good posts; I wish I had more time to comment but hopefully soon.
    I pray all is well; May the Lord bless, keep and be with you always!

Susan

Hi Susan…our hearts must always be for everyone. “For God so loved the world.” The vilest of sinners He considers when others have written them of. I think about the Lord healing the leper and the scripture that jumps out at me is “He touched Him.” The lepers were the untouchables of the day. Thye threw rocks at them and they had to stay on the outskirts of town. Yet Jesus touched Him, which meant he drew close to him. We all know that Jesus could have healed him from afar. Who are the untouchables of today? Are we willing to draw close to them? How men and woman of today still desperately need a touch from Him. And He uses us to touch them. May we always be drawn to those who are rejected……..Frank