Love of country is not the same as love of God

Posted by appolus on July 26, 2012

Hi saints. How many of us know that love of country is not the same as love for God? In America, we see a very unhealthy mixture of love of country, love of culture, love of history and love of beginnings with love of God. There can be no mixture. Wait Frank, are you saying that it is wrong to love one’s country? What I am saying brothers and sisters that there can be no competition for our affections. Jesus must have all of our heart, all of it. No matter where a saint lives, if it is difficult or if it is easy, when God calls us to leave it behind we must be ready to do that. In this day and age when it seems so clear that the Lord is coming, we must hold all things loosely, all things. He cannot have all of our heart if we do not hold all things in and of this world loosely.

Love of country, desire  to save the culture, desire to maintain or to hearken back to days either real  or imagined is not the province of the child of God. The child of God’ eye is on  His Jesus, and on the Kingdom to come which enables him to avoid being entangled  in the things of the world. That is why we are sojourners and ambassadors for  Jesus and His Kingdom to come and the kingdom that presently dwells in our  hearts. To be wrapped up in a political war or a cultural war is to be AWOL (  absent without official leave) from the real war, the war of light against darkness. The war against principalities and powers and spiritual wickedness in high  places.

What are you going to do o saints when your country comes after you because of what you believe? When the Lord calls you out of Babylon, will you be so enamored of the things of Babylon that you will not be able to leave? When Lot’s wife had to leave Sodom, did it go well for her? What about when it was time to leave Babylon and return to Jerusalem, after 70 short years, did most leave? Was the comforts of Babylon too much for most, did they not want stay there rather than to join the remnant people in the difficult place? A place where they were surrounded by enemies as they attempted to re-build the temple. It is reckoned that the majority of Jews, when allowed to return to Jerusalem, decided to stay in Babylon.

In the 1930s, many of the German Christians had to choose between following the State and its leader and its outlandish nationalism or follow God. Those who chose to follow God were treated as traitors and paid the full price, they paid with their lives. Now is the time to consider your own position, not when the hour arrives. Will you stand with the Lord and follow the truth? Will you, when asked to let these things go that you hold precious, look back and turn to salt?  We must have our identity in Christ and Christ alone. When we have that then we transcend nationalism and partisanship. We are a brotherhood, we are a royal priesthood, and in that alone should we find our identity under the Lord Jesus Christ. The winds that go before a storm are beginning to blow brothers and sister, they are cultural winds and only the truly committed will have the courage to stand up into the winds and face the coming storm. Will you ” stay in Babylon,” with the majority or will you be found with the remnant who would rather be counted with their brothers and sisters even if it meant the loss of all things including their lives.

7 Responses to “Love of country is not the same as love of God”

1. abkeyte said

Yes! That’s the issue many face today. We want to love our country, our people and our way of life. We want to settle down, get tucked in and be safe, warm and cozy. Yet, when we look back at history we see the true disciples being persecuted everywhere they lived and everywhere they went. In England, many a true man and woman of God met their end in horrific ways. And, that really was not that long ago.
    We have people like Tyndale, Richard Cameron, James Abbes and so many others who paid the ultimate price for their belief and faith in Jesus. Here’s a quote from one who gave their all:

“When Christ calls a man, he bids him come and die.” ~ Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Mark 4:19 And the cares of this world, and the deceitfulness of riches, and the lusts of other things entering in, choke the word, and it becomes unfruitful.

We know the enemy of our souls hasn’t relented or forsaken his ways and he is setting the stage for the persecution of all true believers. All we have to do is choose to love and serve Jesus above everything else! Above national identity or pride, above ethnic identity and pride and above every other thing that draws us away from Jesus. He must be first and have complete and utter preeminence in our lives if we are to serve God well. After all, He is the alpha and the omega and we will see Him soon! God bless you my brother for your courage!

Abkeyte writes……………

“I believe we will see persecution in America, even great persecution the world over; and we will see it very soon. We need to decide now whom we will serve. Are we so enamored with this world that we can’t see the handwriting on the wall? I am reminded of this verse:

Amen bor, amen……………..bro Frank

2. Robert Taylor said

Hi Brother Frank…..I have not responded for awhile due to my hetic schedule. I´m in the process of building a church building for the Tarahumara indians in the mountians. The stage indeed is being set for the persecution of the saints. Everyone had better prepare themselves. Let me relate to you what happened to me just today. I was on my way back home from doing some mission business in a town about 30 miles from our mission base. A white SUV vehicle pulled up alongside me and forced me off the road. Thier car was full of people. They piled out of the car with AK47 assault rifles pointed at me. I have a new double cab 4×4 pickup truck that a church in the United States donated to the mission here. One of them had an AK47 pointed at the side of my head. Three of them opened the back doors and got in the back of my truck with a rifle pointed at the back of my head. One got in the passenger side. The one in the front said “We want your truck”. I said”No problem, take it, just let me out, i will walk home”. They said give us your money also. I gave them everything in my wallet, (about $150.00) dollars. Then one of them said, “who are you, and what is your business in mexico”. I said, “I am an American missionary”. They got on thier radio with someone and talked for a couple of minutes, i couldn´t understand what they were saying. Then the one with the gun at the back of my head said” We don´t rob missionaries”. He handed my money back to me, and said “you are free to go”.If God himself had not interveined in my behalf there is not a shred of doubt in my mind that i would be dead now. I firmly beleive that this was just a dress rehershal for the real persecution that is soon coming upon all the saints of God brother Frank. I have been in mexico 12 years and this is the first time something like this has happened. We are living in sobering times my friend…..Blessings from mexico…….Robert

Hey brother Robert, so good to hear from you. Brother, your are exactly right, the Lord’s hand was upon you, praise His holy name for your life. Mexico , it seems, continues to slide into more and more violence. Sobering indeed. The time is undoubtedly short bro, there is a storm on the way for those of us who live in the comforts of the west. Oh Lord, may you continue to have your hand upon my brother and his family as he serves you there in a place of absolute idolotry. No matter where we are Lord, may your Spirit go before us and may we always know that our lives are in your hand and that we are your servant and that we are not leaving this planet until you deem it Lord, in the mighty name of the Lord Jesus………………..bro Frank

3. Lisaelaine said

I have felt that we in the US church have been blending politics and the church for too long, and I do fear that it will take real persecution to awaken us. We are first of all pilgrims and strangers here, we so easily forget that.

4. timbob said

Hello again. There are two things that must be mentioned; both of which add further evidence to what you have written. Several years ago, we attended a particular church for a short period of time. Every year, around July 4, they had what they termed “God and Country Sunday.” They had a big screen in front on which patriotic images and military machinery were the stars of the show. It created such an uneasy feeling in my spirit that i just wanted to leave. And yet nobody else seemed to notice. In fact, they even sang along as one young lady tearfully sang a song that was popular during the first gulf war “but I’m proud to be an American.,” It was unbelievable; just as it was unnerving to hear professing saints justify everything done under the Bush administration. (even waterboarding) As I watched these developments, the process by which nationalism is directed toward an evil agenda became painfully clear.

Another report comes not from my past, but from the days of the third reich. (I wish I could remember where I came across this.) It involved a church which sat along a railroad in the heart of Germany. Every sunday, while the congregations was gathered, a train would pass by at a specific time. It was loaded with prisoners who were being taken to the concentration camps. Every Sunday, the congregation could hear the cries and moans of the doomed passengers. To remedy this, they would have someone listen for when the train was beginning to make its approach. Then they sang really loud while it was passing so that the unnerving cries could not be heard. Most of them probably reasoned with themselves “there’s nothing that I can do to stop the trains. The enemy always takes advantage of our ignorance, our misplaced affections, and our feelings of helplessness as he makes continuous war against the eternal souls who bear the image of God.

Thanks for addressing this issue. Blessings in Jesus name.