The benefits of His manifest Presence

Posted by appolus on February 10, 2012

To know Jesus is to encounter Him. Now this encounter can come in a thousand different ways. It can come in dreams and visions, quite rare in my experience. It can come in alone times of prayer, this is most common for myself. It can come corporately, relatively rare nowadays I would say. This manifest presence, this shekinah, this felt presence, always leads to changes in our lives.

It increases my love for the things that He loves. My reverence of His majesty and glory intensifies. To be consciously aware of His presence is a beautiful thing and it is a gift from God that He would condescend to reveal Himself to one such as I. It makes me aware of my smallness. It makes me aware of the fact that I am a child of God. Every time I experience it, the things of the world lose more of its grip on me. After a while, the only thing that is of any consequence is Him. All of your pleasures you derive from Jesus. All of your hope is in Him.

I will seek you with my whole heart
And learn to walk in your ways
I will seek you with my whole heart
And follow you all of my days

I love your word and your Spirit too
And I will praise you with all of my heart
Without you I would be forsaken and lost
I needed you right from the start

With my whole heart I cry to thee
Keep me close let us not be apart
Speak to me oh Spirit of God
Your Word is hidden in my heart

I rejoice in the Lord and in all of your ways
You have made the crooked paths straight
You lead me in the way of righteousness
And on your word and your Spirit I shall wait

You are the ground upon which I stand
Open my eyes that I may see
Your glory and splendor, your Spirit and truth
You are the Word who has set me free

You are the way and the truth and you are my life
Oh Lord do not put me to shame
My heart’s desire is to follow you
And to glorify your precious name

Oh keep my eyes from worthless things
May they only ever see you
May I walk in the path that you have set
And praise you in all that I do

I will not be ashamed of the Gospel
It’s the power of God to salvation
I will speak of you before mighty kings
And the Peoples of every nation

My hope is in the Lord my God
For your word has given me life
Your song comes to me in the middle of the night
As a bridegroom comes to His wife

The earth oh Lord is full of your mercy
And you have kept me from all harm
I will walk with my brothers who fear you
And you shall keep us from all alarm

In the midst of my many afflictions
I have learned from the error of my ways
I am drawn by your tender mercies
And they follow me all of my days

I delight in the your word that dwells in me
And I know I shall not be alone
For you dwell in the midst of a brand new heart
A heart of flesh and not of stone

My heart hungers for your presence oh Lord
I walk through a dry weary land
Yet through famine and drought my hope is in you
And suddenly before you I stand!

And the enemy that has sought to destroy me
And take advantage of my perilous state
Did not reckon on the faithful loving-kindness
Of my God who’ll not leave me to my fate

You are beyond all comprehension
And we breathe because you exist
You sustain the heavens and the earth below
Righteousness and peace they have kissed

My strong desire is to do thy will
And my soul thirsts to please you oh Lord
I am hungry to know even more of you
It’s so sweet to hear your word

Your word is a lamp unto my feet
And it keeps me on the road ahead
And though I am tempted to stray from it
It lights up the path I must tread

Every word that proceeds from my precious Lord
Is life and salvation to me
Keep me close that I may hear you Lord
Keep me close so I may be free

This Word that burns at the center of my heart
Was written by you for me
This strong desire that has ruined me for life
Makes me desperately want to see

To see you high and lifted up
Where the train of your robe fills the temple
I fall down in fear at this terrible sight
Yet I find you so sweet and gentle

Your mercy flows like the river wide
And your love is as deep as the sea
And of your forgiveness there is no end
From Calvary it flows eternally

And rivers of water run down from my eyes
For men have rejected the Son
Yet despite their rejections we shall rejoice
For the victory on Calvary won

I rise before the breaking of dawn
In the wee small hours of the morning
I search for you with all of my heart
And for the world my heart is in mourning

They will not hear, they refuse to listen
They are stubborn in al of their ways
Yet your children will rejoice with all of their hearts
And follow you all of their days

This heart, this heart you have given to me
Is the greatest treasure of all
And your words of love are written on this heart
So that I may never fall

For I was fallen and dead in my sin
Just like Lazarus, dead in the cave
Yet you came to me, right where I was
And you were mighty to save

Arise my child come forth and live
I speak to your heart of stone
Roll away, roll away, and now become flesh
Walk with me and you’ll never walk alone

And so it was, the promise fulfilled
All the prophets had longed to see
This heart of flesh, the law fulfilled
The Christ that has set me free

8 Responses to “The benefits of His manifest Presence”

1. W.E. Smith said

A number of years back, after a lifetime of futile religious striving, I experienced such an encounter, and my brother, you are absolutely correct – it will change everything. Yet (as I was to discover) after the glory, there is the valley and the cross. He may take you up yes, as He did Paul, but then he straps a cross of death to your back and sends you back into the world. After returning from the Mount, He rebuked His own for their lack of faith, their lack of true power over the unclean spirits that corrupt this earth. So the lesson here is that we cannot expect to wallow long in this glory, building tabernacles on the mountain. If we are so fortunate to be taken up, He will ask us to return, to go back down, all the way down.

My brother – I would rather spend 30 seconds with a man who has truly seen the Lord than 30 lifetimes with one who has merely read something about Him. This encounter will change you, shatter you, turn your whole world and everything you think about on its head. You have captured this wonderfully and spiritually –

**************************************

“It increases our passion and our love for Him. It gives us a greater desire to read His word. It gives illumination to the revelation of His word. It makes me love my enemies more. It makes me love my brothers and sisters in Christ more. It makes me want to follow Him more closely and it increases my sensitivity to sin. It gives me a hunger and thirst for more of Him. It gives me a great desire to “go home.”

It increases my love for the things that He loves. My reverence of His majesty and glory intensifies. To be consciously aware of His presence is a beautiful thing and it is a gift from God that He would condescend to reveal Himself to one such as I. It makes me aware of my smallness. It makes me aware of the fact that I am a child of God. Every time I experience it, the things of the world lose more of its grip on me. After a while, the only thing that is of any consequence is Him. All of your pleasures you derive from Jesus. All of your hope is in Him.

It makes this time on earth seem very short when you have glimpsed into eternity. It takes all the fear out of dying. In fact it takes all the fear out of everything. All of this and more is what I consider are the benefits of ” knowing,” Jesus. The poem I wrote below is based on Psalm 119. As a new Christian I was amazed at David’s passion. He expresses a rare passion for God’s law. David was a man that knew the presence of God. This passion can now be found in Him that fulfilled the Law. Will you seek the Lord with all of your heart today?”

****************************************

The reason I believe that so many are not seeking His Kingdom is that they have yet to see him in this way. The world still looms large in their hearts for they haven’t been taken up out of it for a time. Paul could not speak about such an encounter; it was forbidden. Why? Because this is a very personal thing and the Lord in His wisdom knew that men would be tempted to make a religion out of Paul’s experience in Paradise.

More often this encounter occurs in the valley anyway, going down into death, into hiddenness and loss, with the stone rolled over the tomb, behind a veil of tears. Here is where so many of us find Him, and touch Him for the first time, and are touched by Him, He speaks to us here, and only then do His words become spirit and life to us. To encounter Him is to encounter Life for the first time, for He is the Tree of Life, and to sit under His shade, to lie with our head on His bosom, this my friends is the reason for everything.

Dear ones, in encountering the Lord in the glory I lost my family here on earth. This is true sadly, but not unexpected. I tried for some time, to no avail, to share what I had seen with my wife, and though a professing Christian, she could not receive it. I started to hear the Lord for the first time, and to follow Him, to go where He leads, to change this, to remove that, to add this. Now it may sound strange, but I believe my wife become jealous of this new-found love for the Lord. All I wanted to do was talk about Him, to discover Him in everything, to sing His songs of joy and future gladness!

Once you encounter Him the things of men and the flesh became very evident. Separations occur. There is no other way. You make many mistakes in your youthful zeal perhaps, but your heart is pure, you merely wanted to taste and see more of Him.

Dear ones – I would give it all up again and again just to have Him, and more of Him. I write this alone in an empty house. My wife and son are gone. And so what was my crime? I merely encountered the Lord. I saw Him. I touched Him for the first time. I started to see for the first time, everything became clearer. I could not contain Him within me so He spilled out into my family, into my marriage, into all the many decisions and choices made. And this created a dilemma for my wife, would she choose life or would she choose death? Would she enter into the Light or move back into the shadows? Would she embrace what I was becoming as a new creation, or be repelled by it?

Dear ones – are you seeking Him? Do it with all your heart and don’t look back. Be willing to release anything that keeps you from drinking long at the River of Life. The Word is a Person, full of Glory and Majesty, Beautiful and Wondrous, and He is waiting! Expect to encounter him as our brother shares, for His loving embrace is the very reason we were saved.

Brother Frank – I often grow weary at the failings in myself and the testimony of the Lord all around, and yet I come here to drink these words and verses you share, and I am instantly and wondrously uplifted in my spirit. I am refreshed and renewed. I thank the Lord for you, and love you dearly my brother. Please pray for Noah, for he is entering the most difficult time of a man’s life and the greatest burden of my heart is that the Lord might step into His path and open the eyes of His heart. I would gladly have the Lord throw me back so there might be room in His net for my son. Oh Lord, claim Your little ones in Your Loving Care and Your Holy Power! Bring them under the shadow of Your wings Lord that the foul birds of this world might not devour them.

Dear brother Wayne, you have spoken truth and wisdom. Often times I warn of the totality of such an encounter. The question must be ” do you really want to find HIm?” Will you stand in the refiners fire that you seek? I warn that your life as you know it will be totally dismantled. Everything that you hold dear will pass through the fires until you can cry out with your whole being ” I only want you, I love you with my whole heart.” Another thing I have touched on is also mentioned in an old song ” look full in His wonderful face, and the things of earth shall grow strangely dim, in the light of His glory and grace.” This is a very mild and beautiful way to say that everything that you once gleaned pleasure from will seem beggerly after such an encounter. Just one encounter will do this brothers and sisters, beware your heart. The mountain bows down to the valley, the Lord comes to us in the depths if the depths are a result of our walk with Him. The encounter will produce more depths, not less. Persecution will increase not decrease. You will be assaulted by darkness when you move from a supporting role to the front lines. Injuries and death abound on the front lines. Every position is a voluntereer position. This was all and continues to be my own result for praying this prayer ” whatever it takes Lord,” four years after coming to Jesus, now 16 years ago. Would I pray that prayer again. Here I pause. It would be easy for me to say yes without a second thought and would surely impress the reader. Yes dear reader, i would do it again, as a seasoned soldier goes back to war perhaps without the marching band this time and the thoughts of personal glory. I have no thoughts of personal glory. I did have, I no longer have. My thoughts only turn to Him, as it should be, but what a fire it took to burn that dross away and the fire still burns. I write none of this, neither does my brother Wayne, to put anyone off seeking the Lord with their whole heart, but you must count the cost. You must have a Gethsemane moment. For when you submit to death then death will come, yet be of good cheer brother or sister, for there is another fire. It is the fire that rages in your heart. Fire-fighters will often deliberately start back fires to combat massive forest fires. This fire burns an area and creates a clearing so that when the destroying fire comes, it stops it. Jesus does this for His people. He will take you through fires and floods. He will be with you when you pass through the fires, He will be with you when you pass through the waters. The fires of hell will come but they will not prevail against the children of the living God. And so I say to one and all. Seek Him brothers and sisters, seek Him with every part of you. Rise early and seek Him, seek Him into the wee hours of the morning, pursue Him as the deer panteths for the waterbroooks and will surely die if it does not find water. Jesus beckons , “He who loves his life shall lose it. And he who hates his life in this world shall keep it to life eternal.” (Joh 12:25)

But who may abide the day of his coming? and who shall stand when he appeareth? for he is like a refiner’s fire, and like fullers’ soap: And he shall sit as a refiner and purifier of silver: and he shall purify the sons of Levi, and purge them as gold and silver, that they may offer unto the LORD an offering in righteousness.
      (Mal 3:2-3)

2. W.E. Smith said

Yes, the sons of Levi, now I think it may well be that this offering in righteousness is their very lives laid down. Oh my brother to be hidden in His shadow. “Not I but Christ” said Paul. “No longer I who lives….” Lost in Him. Oh but the cost is everything. “Count the cost” warned the Lord. My brother, only when you see Him and know Him, will this cost be worth it. Many will not understand, and that is fine, but you will know. You will know in the deep places of your heart where spirit touches bone, yes you will know. You will only truly worship Him in this way, as you lie face down before Him as He really is. Hallelujah. Oh Father, may it please you to reveal your Beloved and Beautiful Son in each of us, as you did our brother Paul so long ago, and so many others since. Amen.

• David said

There is a revelation I would like to share.

Paul counted all lost that he may win Christ, you know he said that for a very good reason; Christ had to be revealed to him first, and after that he wrote eye has not seen nor ear heard…

Jesus is that pearl of great price, that treasure hidden in the field that a man would sell all that he has in order to go and buy that field.

And herein is the revelation: God is greater than the entirety of all of His creation combined.

He is more beautiful, more lovely, more satisfying to the soul beyond words description. More to be desired than earthly riches, or any other earthly pleasure. On Earth we see here but small flecks of His glory. I can think of all the wonderful things on earth and such diversity too, but they are but tools to show me of Himself. Beautiful scenery, fruit tress, wife and children, friends and family, and yet the joy we can find here on earth are but glimpses and pale of what is eternal and of that which is to come.

God is the source of all beauty and life and joy, and true satisfaction (completeness). When a person has been overshadowed by His Holy Spirit (and oh what glory) we experience a glimpse, a small sip of His goodness, but in heaven (in His presence) we will have large draughts thereof and we love Him more than ourselves and each other as ourselves. And for the hope of that which is in us, for that life which is to come, we endure all things, hope all things so that we may inherit Him who is forever – who is life…and love Him so very completely in all of His splendid glory. He is so very worthy of my love and all that I have, and I write this with revelation knowledge…He is the source, the center of ALL that which is good and in His presence there is joy unspeakable and full of glory, peace, love and life. How can we not love Him who “is” love? He is so very worthy of our love!

But on earth we are sore afflicted, tried, tested, tempted, persecuted, teased and hated and more…but we were warned of these things. 1 Peter 1:6-9

Romans 8:18
      For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us.

so very soon now.

Hi David, amen to what the Lord has revealed to you. There are many brother and sisters throughout the world that know of His glory and His majesty, some may call them the remnant. God has always had His remnant, the Church, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against them. I love Paul for saying that he considered that the sufferings of this present time to be not worthy to be compared to the glory that will be revealed. Only someone who had suffered as Paul suffered and as every true child of God suffers can legitimately put flesh on the bones of that statement. Praise the Lord for saints who can be amazed that they would be counted worthy to suffer for the cause of Christ. This does not negate their suffering, it puts it into a glorious context. Nothing could negate Gethsemane, or when Paul despaired, almost unto death, or when Jesus cried out to God from the cross. These are the experiences of every true saint. And when they walk through the valley of the shadow of death, when they aproach the gates of hell, when they take the battle to the enemy as David would run to the giant, they discover, at the point and on the edge of the end of themselves, that this is where God takes over. Broken men are used of God, the flesh stripped down, the dross burned in the fire until all they can see is Jesus. Its not for the faint-hearted, its not for those whose eyes are looking back to Egypyt, its for those who look to the Jordan and beyond and say in their hearts “I believe,’ and then by faith, leave the desert and enter into the promised land where walls come down and giants fall…………………..bro Frank

Dear brother Wayne, may we be found hidden under the shadow of His wings……….bro Frank

3. Jennifer - Atlanta said

The drano ad is rather obscene and rather distracts from the beautiful content of this post. It looks like you have rotating ads, so you may not be able to see it but the ad is explicitly sexualized and is tying lust with a toilet cleaning product! (outrageous!)

Hi Jennifer, that is totaly dis-heartening to me. It was only recenly that I found out that wordpress put adds on the posts. I, as the creator of the site, dont see them. If I pay them I can get rid of the adds, and I may do that sister. I am sorry that you had to see whatever it was you had to see. Thanks for bringing it to my attention …………….. bro Frank