Overcoming giants! Arise and let your enemies be scattered.

Posted by appolus on June 30, 2011

Gideon was full of the Holy Spirit, as was David. If we are to fight the enemy and defeat him in the field of battle, we too must be full of the Holy Spirit. Religious men will tell you that we are sealed with the Holy Spirit when we are saved and that is true, but we must be filled again and again. This filling flows from the very presence of God. We must take advantage of the throne room of God. With a price that can never be estimated, God the Father, through Jesus His Son, made the way to the Holy of Holy’s accessible to all who call upon His name and are washed in the Blood of the Lamb. David says “Do not cast me away from your presence, and do not take your Holy Spirit from me, restore unto me, the joy of my salvation and renew a right spirit within me.”

Arise and Let Your Enemies be Scattered

Judges:6:33 “Then all the Midianites and Amakelites, the people of the East , gathered together: and they crossed over and encamped in the valley of Jezreel. 34. But ,The Spirit of the Lord came upon Gideon.”

Judges 7:6 “And the number of those who lapped; putting their hand to their mouth, was three hundred men.”

What enemies do you face today? Is your soul vexed? Do you believe that the crisis you face is too great for you? Time and time again the Lord has used that which seems insignificant, to carry out His will. David, a small boy, faces the bear, the lion and finally Goliath. How is it that David can beat insurmountable odds? How is it that Gideon, with a ridiculously small number of men, can take on, rout, and destroy 120,000 men?

When I was 12 years old, I discovered the secret of overcoming giants. My father was a very violent alcoholic. When I was 7 my mother had come to Christ and all hell broke loose in our house. Prior to that, our house was peaceful as my mother had always “towed the line,” done what she was told. After coming to Christ, my Father realized he was no longer in control of his wife. She was having a love affair with Jesus. If it had been another man, he would have killed Him, but how do you fight God?

After many years of violence and terror, one particular night seemed to draw all the demonic forces together. My father, always highly unpredictable, seemed to have lost his mind this night. He was laughing hysterically and then crying, and all the time holding my mother by the back of the hair and pounding her face with his fist. She just kept repeating “Jesus loves you, Jesus loves you.” My sister was in the corner of the room screaming. I stood behind my dad, frozen in terror. We had witnessed violence many times before, but this night was different. The air was almost tangible, it had substance, almost like you could cut it with a knife. There was a demonic presence in the room that night and it had come to finish its work with my mother.

As I stood there, frozen in place, suddenly, it was as if someone had poured water over me, yet in slow motion. It came down over my head and flooded my whole being, right down to my toes, and as it flowed down, then every bit of fear fled from my body. I stood in the midst of all that demonic chaos and I felt perfect peace and no fear. I reached up, and put my hand on my fathers shoulder. His head snapped round in what seemed like less than a second, faster than a man could normally move, still holding my mother by the hair, and I found myself looking into the blackest, wildest eyes I had ever seen. I looked straight into those eyes, and suddenly my vision went beyond the natural, and I found myself looking into the very soul of my father.

Inside his own soul, the father that should have been, was bound by chains and gagged, lying on his side. I spoke to him and said “I love you.” As soon as the last syllable was out of my mouth I was looking at the black eyes again and it said “I cannot argue with that.” The presence was gone, and my father sat down, seemingly shell-shocked. Whatever demonic force had come, it was sent on its way by a 12 year old child, full of the holy Spirit.

The three hundred men that were chosen for Gideon by God were the men who lapped the water with their hand. The first to be rejected were the fearful, God does not want them to be part of the three hundred. The rest got down on their knees and drank with their tongues. The correct military position was to remain upright, and use the palm of one of their hands to drink. In this way they did not have to lay down their weapons and they could continue to watch for the enemy. We too must remain upright. If we are to remain in the fight, we must not lay down our weapons, we must be ready for the schemes of the enemy, ever vigilant.

It is the Spirit of God within us that does all the fighting, if we quench that Spirit with sin, or by not coming into the presence of God, then we render ourselves useless. Only by flowing in the Spirit can we overcome fear, can we wield the weapons of our warfare which are not carnal, but mighty in God for the pulling down of strongholds, casting down arguments and every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God.(2 Cor 10:4-5)

Several years after the incident recorded above, my father came to Jesus, as all men do, on his knees. At the age of forty-nine, having struggled against God violently, and being a slave to alcohol, he was gloriously set free from His struggle and also from drink. He has now been saved for 15 years and has never had the desire for drink since the day he met Jesus

6 Responses to “Overcoming giants! Arise and let your enemies be scattered.”

1. Robert Taylor said

Hello brother Frank….Good to hear your voice again. If only the church as a whole could grasp the truth of what you are saying here. I just got back from a 2 week trip to my mission field in the state of Chihuahua, 400 miles to the east of my main base here. I work mainly with the mexican people, and the very large Mennonite community there. Let me get to the point of what i want to say without getting overly verbose. The German Mennonites came to that part of mexico in 1921. They have prospered beyond words to describe. There is no need for me to say that they are a very religious people. I planted a church among these people, and i became shocked at the spiritual problems that these people are having. The title of your article was about giants facing the people of God, and you gave a very moving testimony of God removing a giant out of your own family circle. These Mennonite people have got giants before them that is enough to numb the mind. These people are a very religious people, but they have never had an encounter with God. They have never sought God for the daily filling of the Spirit that you have spoken of here. I saw as much adultry, fornication, drunkness, thivery, and every other sin that you can mention, as i have ever witnessed among any group of people. They can´t understand why they are having so many problems. I have been teaching them that they have a zeal for God like few ethnic groups of people anywhere, but they have made one fatal mistake, they have left the Spirit of God out of thier religious life. Sad to say, almost all of the modern day church is making that same fatal mistake. You gave us a very good word brother Frank, thank you…….Robert

Hey brother Robert. It is interesting to hear of the Mennonite community down there in Mexico. I had no idea there was such a community down there. I know a good brother who was Mennonite, and then get born again. He still lives and works in Lancaster county Pennsylvania. He would be a great guy to come down and speak to that group if possible. They are experiencing somewhat of a small revival where he comes from. Many have been shunned or ex-communicated by the community at large because they have discovered the Lord Jesus and had to share it. God bless you Robert, e-mail me for more details if you would like to know more about this brother………….. brother Frank

2. W.E. Smith said

Thank you my brother, for sharing this penetrating and very personal story. I have been considering these things in the spirit for a few days now –

Therefore, brethren, since we have confidence to enter the holy place by the blood of Jesus, by a new and living way which He inaugurated for us through the veil, that is, His flesh, and since we have a great priest over the house of God, let us draw near with a sincere heart in full assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled clean from an evil conscience and our bodies washed with pure water. (Heb 10)

AS this world grows ever darker, and given over the evil one, the need for spiritual power and courage on the part of the Lord’s people is paramount. We must know that we can indeed come, with the full assurance of faith, into His presence to receive His power and authority over all our (His) enemies. “Will you take me at my word?” is what He is been asking me much lately. “Are you ready to you live by every word that proceeds from My mouth?”

Oh Lord please help my unbelief!

3. Rachel said

Incredible story … thank you so much for sharing, it reveals so much; how we fight, who we fight, who we love, and how much stronger is He who is in us than he that is in the world. Interesting, how your Dad seemed to be the enemy, but he wasn’t. And how when you told him, truly him, you loved him how that set him free.

Rachel

Hey Rachel, your exactly right. My mother had always shared with her children that this was a fight for dad’s soul. On the face of it he was just another wife-beater, yet there was zero violence in our house until the night my mother came home and announced she had found Jesus. I was seven when that happened. My mother and father had been married for ten years at the point she came to Jesus. My mother suffered through fifteen years of violence, which included a broken jaw and countless black eyes. He once nailed the outside door shut from the inside with six inch nails on a Sunday morning to stop her getting to church. My sister and I lowered my mother out of the ground floor window of the tenement that we lived in.

The fight was definately a spiritual one with physical ramifications. The real battles did and does take place in the spiritual realm. It is there that we gain victory, no matter what happens to us………brother Frank