Anatomy of a Miracle

Posted by appolus on February 13, 2008

Fifteen years ago, just six weeks after my son Daniel was born, and just two years after coming to know Jesus, the doctors made a pronouncement to me that many people fear. I was told, after blood tests, x-rays, cat scans and finally a lung biopsy, that I had an incurable disease. One-third of each lung was covered with irreversible fibrosis, a disease known as Pulmonary fibrosis. Many of you will remember that DR Bill Bright of Campus Crusade For Christ died of this disease a couple of years ago.

This disease slowly robs you of your ability to breathe. As the fibrosis spreads, then your lung capacity decreases. I was already at stage three of a four stage disease. I could barely talk on the telephone without my breathing being extremely labored. The pulmanologist explained that the only treatment would be high doses of steroids on a daily basis.

Many Christians know in their heads that the secret to an intimate relationship, a dynamic relationship with the Father is founded upon dependence on Him. No one exemplified this more than the Lord Jesus. At no point in His earthly life did He act or speak without the leading and the guidance of His heavenly Father. This is the key to life for all Christians. We must follow His word, this is His revelation, and we must also know that small still voice that that leads and guides us always.

After just a few weeks of taking the steroids, that small still, beautiful, precious voice spoke into my spirit. “Frank, come away with me, I am your life, I am your stillness, I am your peace when all around you is falling apart, trust in me….trust in me.” I stopped taking the pills. The world rose up against this simple act of obedience and there were many voices, so many voices, so many opinions, yet that small still voice, in the eye of the storm, whispered…………….”Trust in me…….trust in me.”

Several weeks passed, and the many voices seemed to be right. My ability to breathe declined. It is imperative to notice that the small still voice made me no promises, my only command was to “trust.” A well known man of God from the last century said this “Lord, may I be an ox on the altar or an ox in the field.” None of is really know our purpose here in life, what we do know is that we have been called to bring honor to the name of Jesus, regardless of our situation.

There will be a time, or times, in every Christians life, when He will “Make you lie down in green pastures.” You may think to yourself, what is so “Green Pastures,” about a diagnosis of incurability or possible death. Let me tell you something brothers and sisters in Christ, when we have complete dependence upon God, even although we did not chose it(He makes you lie down) you will be in a place that is almost beyond description. The windows of heaven will open, you will hear heavenly choirs of angels, you will feel the sun on your face and it will feel so good, you will mount up with wings as eagles and soar high above the things of earth. From down through the centuries the martyr’s will call out to you and the same Spirit that comforted them in their greatest trials and allowed them to sing psalms of glory, even as the flames began to consume their temporal bodies, that same Spirit will burn like a mighty furnace in your chest, and if men could look into your situation, they would say “there is one like the son of man with Him,” and they would be right.

Ten weeks after coming off the pills, I heard the phone ring at 5.30 on a Monday morning. How many of us know that when the phone rings at late hours or the “wee small hours of the morning,” that it is usually significant, much like a loud knock on the door in the middle of the night. This phone call would be perhaps the most significant phone call of my life. It was my mother calling from five thousand miles away. She apologized for calling so early, but she had been compelled by the Holy Spirit. She very simply stated “The Lord told me that He was going to heal you.” “The Lord has instructed me to attend a certain prayer meeting this week and to pray for you and He is going to heal you.” I find it significant that my mom was instructed to call and tell me beforehand. This was an act of faith, trust, obedience, this was a “stepping out,”

As she spoke, I was overwhelmed by the Holy Spirit, I fell to my knees and in my spirit I knew that I was to be healed, I had no doubt whatsoever. I went for an x-ray two days later. The Doctor called me into his office, he seemed subdued. I had shared with him all those weeks before that I was putting my life in the hands of the Lord. He flicked the light of the x-ray board on and pointed to my lungs, they were completely clear. Apparently the Lord does not know the meaning of the word ,”irreversible.” That was fifteen years ago, and, as many of my friend could testify, my lungs are in good shape 🙂

I wrote this poem in an effort to describe the place of utter dependence upon Him, even for breathe, and yet, when I read it, I know my words are woefully short. There are no earthly words to describe the presence of God, one may as well try to catch gossamer butterflies.
HIS REST

FARTHER, FARTHER, FARTHER ALONG
IN AN OCEAN OF PRAISE , AND ON THE WINGS OF A SONG

HE TOOK ME TO THE PROMISED LAND
AND I LAY DOWN IN THE PALM OF HIS HAND
AT THE TOP OF THE MOUNTAIN, AT THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA
IN THE DARKEST DUNGEON, NO MATTER, FOR I AM FREE

11 Responses to “Anatomy of a Miracle”

1. Mary said

Hey Brother,
    What a fantastic story and a tremendous testimony to the power of God. Situations that seem humanly hopeless can transform a person through faith, not only physically, but more importantly, spiritually. God knows what he is doing(for our good)in bringing situations into our lives that bring greater dependence and trust in Him. In the end, we have a stronger relationship with Him, therefore making life all the sweeter.
    Trials—-> faith/trust—-> closeness with Our Lord
    May we all see trials, as you did, as opportunities to draw ever closer to Him.
    Praise God, He knows what He is doing!
    We are so blessed to be called His children.
    In Christ,
    Mary

Hi Mary…Thanks for stopping by 🙂 Yes, what you say is absolutly correct. Every situation you find yourself in is an opportunity to draw closer to God. My lates post”Word from God,” adresses the point that you make. Be blessed Mary………….Frank

3. Joy said

Hello brother Frank,

Praise God! This is an awesome testimony that testifies to His great power.

This statement was particularly encouraging:

“The Lord is so good, no matter what your situation is today, if you will trust Him, not even so much for healing, just trust Him, then you will fly where the eagles fly and you will venture into the realm of the miraculous, into the land of the dynamic, for trust is the gateway to the kingdom of God. This kingdom is here and it is now, since we have to walk through this life, let us walk together in the kingdom that was, and is, and is to come and the night will shine like the day.”

Thanks so much for directing me on SI to read your testimony. It’s taken me a bit of time to make my way over here…but the timing is perfect…it was precisely what I needed to read this evening. 🙂 Yes, indeed, God is good! And worthy of our trust and confident faith!

Blessings,
    Joy

Amen sister, trust is the River Jordon. Cross over the threshold of trust and you will walk with Him and begin to possess the Land given to you……………..Frank

5. Michael Austin Tierney said

Hi Frank,

I have been on the internet today sending email questions to healing ministries because of my quickly advancing Interstitial Pulmonary Fibrosis and my faith in God.

There have been people who prayed for me that demand that I claim my healing a)in order to receive it and b)in order to keep it.

Unfortunately for me. I am an ignorant Christian to those in the ‘name it and claim it’ crowd. Why? Well, I have been impressed by God in my spirit that the fullness of my faith will be manifested when I, like Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego,[Gen] will ever know that he WILL heal me [save me from this or any inner fire], BUT EVEN IF HE DOESN’T I will be at peace and know that he has not AND WILL NOT EVER leave me nor forsake me.

Oh, what condemnation trusting in this scripture verse brings upon me from my praying friends. “There is no faith, there is no trust, there in no claiming of authority over all illness by saying constantly that “I AM HEALED” [even though the fire is still raging in my lungs. Did the jewish boys know they were saved from the fire before they went in or when they walked out. They didn’t claim their healing [rescue] the King did when he saw the power of God manifested in their lives.

Anyway, I am so glad to hear that someone has been healed of IPF. The signs first appeared 8+ years ago. I have been under stress from broken relationships and I know this effects my ability to keep my heart open and be at peace with the Lord and with others. Isolation is the best thing I do today [sad to say]. It is time to surrender and today I find your blog. Am I seeing an angel in the fire with me?

Please let me know how things are going with you and surely I ask for your healing prayer.

God bless!

Hi Michael. It is so good to hear from you and I do not believe in accidents in the kingdom. Our steps are ordered of God. As for the name it and claim it people, well I could write a book on that. I would entitle it “The opposite of faith.” Michael, almost all of these people operate in fear, not faith. Job says “yet though He slay me, still will I trust Him.” This is the highest echelon of faith. What I would advise you to do? Get as close to the Lord and stay there. Listen for the small still voice that leads, He will not lead you astray. The worse thing that can happen to you is that you die and go to heaven. Do you believe that? This is where it starts, the journey of faith.

I was healed 15 years ago and it has never returned. God had a plan. And here is the thing, if God has 50 more years for you, thats exactly what you will get, if He has one more year for you, then that is what you will get. There is no power in the universe or beyond that can hamper the plan of God, His will always comes to pass, always. It is in this that we rest, knowing that despite our circumstances, that we rest in the arms of God. “I prepare a table before you, in the presence of your enemies.” Satan is after the treasures of your heart, he wants to steal and rob your joy, your peace, your witness, he wants to prove that you are really no different to those in the world. He wants you to operate in fear because this is the opposite of faith. Stand firm brother, know that your steps are ordered. You have been prayed for I am assuming? Then remember, Paul prayed three times and then let it go, he had to learn that God’s grace was sufficient and that Jesus would be glorified in his weakness. Follow the Lord and His word, let the rest of the world do as they please…………….Frank

• Hi Frank…I love what you wrote. You always say what others wish they would have said. I think I lived through a miracle thanks to your prayers and the prayers of many. You are such an inspiration. We are all in the hands of the Lord, we just need to reach out and look for it.
        Thank you Frank…My Friend!

Sharon

Hey Sharon, I will always remember being allowed to pray for you just before your surgery. It was a priveledge for me, for your family to allow me to come in and pray for you under thoses circumstances. And I know that so may prayers were offered up for you . Just so everyone else knows, Sharon had a brain heomorage , on her frontal lobe, something that kills, she the had infections that almost killed her after the surgery and was in intensive care for a long time. Yet God had a different plan for her life, she has made a remarkable recovery and was back at her work in a very short period of time. God bless you Sharon……….Frank

6. Becky Johnson said

Frank, I couldn’t believe I actually commented what I did on your other (and more recent post). What was I thinking? Sharing something so private, opening myself up for ridicule. And yet…that wasn’t it at all. I was laying it out there to a person with a history and didn’t even know it. But God did. I have, taped onto the top of my nightstand, a purple index card with Job 12:10 scribbled out in my handwriting: “In God’s hand is the life of every creature and the breath of every human being.” I placed it there at some point since this new year began. God holds my breath in his hands, my life, too, yes. But my breath. He is as close as my next breath, even if it’s a struggled breath. In the last month I have become determined to believe something far and above anything I’ve ever believed. That, not only can He heal me, but that I want to be healed. I’m afraid and don’t want to be afraid. This post and the comments that followed have encouraged me greatly today. Thank you for finding this and sharing it with me today. I want to trust Him. Lord, help my distrust.

God bless you Becky. Dependence upon the Lord is a glorious thing in the Spiritual and it affects us in the natural. Trusting in God, come what may. I can honestly say that I never heard God speak more plainly to me than when He invited me to come of those pills. I know that you know this sister, but for the benefit of others reading this, there is no formula to healing. Charlatans and hirelings will tell you something different, but it is lies. That is why they do not see healings. Trusting in the voice and direction of God is paramount in our lives. When we hear Him speak, and not the voice of our soulish desires, then we have clarity and assurance……………..bro Frank

• Becky Johnson said

I agree, as there is no “formula” for anything which involves God. Once a “formula” is given to a thing, it become rigid & stringent, leaving no room for life to flow from the Untamed One. Thank you, again, I am greatly encouraged in my spirit.