I will bless the Lord!

Posted by appolus on October 7, 2015

And there came a messenger unto Job, and said, The oxen were plowing, and the asses feeding beside them: And the Sabeans fell upon them, and took them away; yea, they have slain the servants with the edge of the sword; and I only am escaped alone to tell thee. While he was yet speaking, there came also another, and said, The fire of God is fallen from heaven, and hath burned up the sheep, and the servants, and consumed them; and I only am escaped alone to tell thee. While he was yet speaking, there came also another, and said, The Chaldeans made out three bands, and fell upon the camels, and have carried them away, yea, and slain the servants with the edge of the sword; and I only am escaped alone to tell thee. While he was yet speaking, there came also another, and said, Thy sons and thy daughters were eating and drinking wine in their eldest brother’s house: And, behold, there came a great wind from the wilderness, and smote the four corners of the house, and it fell upon the young men, and they are dead; and I only am escaped alone to tell thee. Then Job arose, and rent his mantle, and shaved his head, and fell down upon the ground, and worshipped, And said, Naked came I out of my mother’s womb, and naked shall I return thither: the LORD gave, and the LORD hath taken away; blessed be the name of the LORD. In all this Job sinned not, nor charged God foolishly. (Job 1:14-22)

Horatio Spafford lost most of his business in the great Chicago fire of 1871. Just two years later a great economic depression hit all but ruining Spafford. He decided to move to Europe but at the last-minute had to take care of business so he sent his wife and children ahead and planned to join them later. In the middle of the voyage the boat sunk and all four of his children were drowned. Later, as he sailed to join his wife who survived, he passed the very spot where the ship went down and he retired to his cabin and wrote the now famous hymn ” It is well with my soul.”

I want you to imagine the grief of Job. He has lost everything that he had and then he learns that all ten of his children have been killed in a Tornado. The first thing that he does is fall down and worship God. He cries out ” Blessed be the name of the Lord.” Are you not astonished brothers and sisters? Does that not run counter to much of what permeates Christendom today? God is worthy to be praised regardless of our circumstances. In doing this, Job directly refutes the accuser of our souls. He establishes the truth of God before the throne of God. Now Job’s sufferings were not over and of his anguish one can only imagine. Perhaps some of his sorest pains comes when he is accused by his friends and then abandoned by them. Horatio Spafford went on to have three more children and even then, one of his children died at the age of four with scarlet fever. The Presbyterian Church considered Spafford’s tragic circumstances as divine punishment. Men have not changed much since Job’s time. The Spafford’s left the Presbyterian Church and formed a group called ” The Overcomers.”

I want you to see brothers and sisters just what a great deception has taken hold of Christendom. I also want you to see that this is nothing new, in fact it is ancient. It goes directly back to the beginning of man and the accusation of Satan. Satan was determined to diminish God’s relationship with His creatures by smearing it. His accusation is that the love of man for God comes only through favorable circumstances. Does this very same thought not run through all of the Word of Faith movement? Does it not run through the prosperity Gospel? And not only these movements but much of Christendom. Much of what passes for Christianity is simply the avoidance of hell and the desire that by doing the right thing then God will bless us. And by ” bless,” we so often mean favorable circumstances and material things. Yet the majesty and the glory of God is to be found not in the sum of our circumstances, but is to be found in the depths of our relationship with Him. To our spouses we make vows to love them in sickness or in health, for richer or for poorer for better or for worse. This was, for so long, the foundation of a loving relationship.

We must grasp this truth that God is worthy to be praised despite our circumstances or what men may think of us. The days of deception are upon us. There will be no glory nor benefit from serving the living God and standing upon His truth. We must stand ” by the power of God, by the armor of righteousness on the right hand and on the left, by honor and dishonor, by evil report and good report;as deceivers and yet true; as unknown yet well known; as dying and behold we live; as chastened, and yet not killed; as sorrowful yet always rejoicing; as poor yet making many rich; as having nothing yet possessing all thing.” ( 2 Cor 6:7-10)

You see brothers and sisters we stand by the power and for the love of God. We are armed by His righteousness. In heaven we are honored but on earth dishonored. In heaven a good report but on earth an evil report. In heaven we are true yet on earth cast as deceivers. In heaven we are known yet on earth we are unknown. On earth we are dying yet in heaven we have already passed into the Kingdom of God and we have life and that more abundantly. On earth we are chastened yet we do not die but live life all the more closely to God. In may seem to the world as though we should be overcome by sorrow yet deep in our hearts no matter what the circumstances we shall fall down and worship the Living God and cry out ” Bless the Lord.” In all theses things, though it may appear that we are wretched and poor, we by our praising of God make many rich. The world may consider us to have nothing and to have lost all, yet in truth we have come to possess and be possessed by the living God and this is treasure beyond all measure. No matter what circumstances you face today and tomorrow, consider this saints, God is worthy to be praised and glorified and out love for Him is unconditional because His love for us is unconditional. We can love Him in such a manner because He first loved us in such a manner.

11 Responses to “I will bless the Lord!”

1. Robert Taylor said

Brother Frank…….Greetings from Mexico. I am printing this one out..With your permission, I would like to preach a sermon here in my mission church based on this article,……Robert

Of course brother, please feel free to use anything I write in any fashion you see fit. God bless you brother……….bro Frank

2. Lynn said

Amen!

3. Oh brother. Now this is the gospel! I’m sending this out to many brothers and sisters, how it stirs my spirit in joy and strength to know this glorious and sovereign Lord who is worthy of praise in every circumstance – and the joy of sharing in Christ’s suffering. Lord, teach us to live this glorious truth that is ours by Your Spirit. Thankyou brother. Continuing to uphold you in prayer.

4. Viviana said

So true brother, I come to your page daily in need of encouragement, it’s getting very dark all around me, so much so that at moments I cry to my Lord to give me his strength to keep going or better yet to take me. I’m sorry to say this but is how I feel, the force and amount of attacks are brutal, maybe I’m the only weak one.
    I have nothing with out him, every day is a struggle to go on.
    Things that I have never encounter in my 62 years of life are happening now.
    I know that I’m not the only one, just that physically I’m alone, surrounded by family, friends and Christian brothers and sisters that are blind to the true word of our God.
    None wants to see what is happening, sound doctrine is a thing of the past in most churches.
    That our all almighty God give us the strength, joy love to keep going till he comes for us.
    To all of you brothers and sisters my love to you in our Lord Jesus Christ.
    Sorry if is not an uplifting comment. I wanted to be truthful.

Hi Viviana, first of all thank you for your honest comment. Being alone is a difficult burden to bear. I have written many articles in the past of David, struggling in the cave. of Paul despairing almost unto death, Joseph crying out in a pit in the ground for mercy. The greatest men and women of the Bible have been brought to the edge of despair and have struggled with the darkness and lonliness of the journey. Now, we can have joy in the midst of the darkness, but it must never be confused with enjoying. There is no trial that we enjoy, no narrow path that is enjoyable, but we know that our Lord, for the joy that was set before Him, endured the cross but the cross was of course brutal and He cries forth from it ” My God , my God why has thou forsaken me.” I say all that sister to encourage you in your walk. There is a joy set before you, and that Joy is our strength. To know the narrow path and to walk in it knowing that very possibly and very probably we are people of sorrows just as the Lord was a man of sorrows and acquainted with grief. Sister, in your very endurance and overcoming God is pleased with the faith that He finds. What faith? The faith that even when it feels nothing, sees nothing and cries out with the pain of its situation, stands steadfast. We have been called to stand, to endure, to overcome in fact all the promises of the Lord to the churches in Revelation were made to those who would overcome. You said ” I have nothing without Him.” Job says ” Even if He slays me, yet will I trust Him.” Paul says that He counts the loss of all things as rubbish to be found in Him. There is great pain and agony to be endured as we enter into His sufferings sister, I know that you know that. I want you to know that for almost the entirety of my salvation, now over 25 years, I have had to cry out to the Lord to give me the strength and desire to continue on in this life. It is not that I have a desire to put of this tent but I have the desire to be clothed with a new body and to leave the sin of this world behind, including my own sin. I long to be in His presence eternally. With every encounter with God along the way, the two edged blessing brings life and a greater struggle to remain here on this earth. We are pilgrims sister, we are merely passing through and we know it. Now, sound doctrine may be a thing of the past in most churches but God has something in mind. As He strips down and refines, He brings forth gold as a witness to the world just what happens to His treasures when they are exposed to fires and floods.

But now thus saith the LORD that created thee, O Jacob, and he that formed thee, O Israel, Fear not: for I have redeemed thee, I have called thee by thy name; thou art mine. When thou passest through the waters, I will be with thee; and through the rivers, they shall not overflow thee: when thou walkest through the fire, thou shalt not be burned; neither shall the flame kindle upon thee.
      (Isa 43:1-2)

Remember ye not the former things, neither consider the things of old. Behold, I will do a new thing; now it shall spring forth; shall ye not know it? I will even make a way in the wilderness, and rivers in the desert.
      (Isa 43:18-19)

Father, in the mighty name of Jesus I pray for my sister this evening. I pray that she would put on a garment of praise for a spirit of heaviness. I pray that you would open up the heavens to her and come down. That she would know and be encouraged. That her joy would be found in you and that it would be her strength to carry on and that this light, this treasure that we have in earthen vessels would be poured through her and that she would encourage all that she meets along the way. Let even her smile and her eye contact with others pour forth strength from her countenance. Let ever discouraged saint know that they are light and that their purpose in this world is to show forth that light like a city set on a hill even if they are the last saint standing. Jesus we remember your lonliness and humiliation as you hung there on the cross for us, abandoned by all of your friends and despised by those you simply poured out blessing on but you loved them despite themselves. Lord pour into us this Spirit even now and let your mind be in us. That if called we could humbly endure not only death but the death of the cross. We lift up and open up our arms to you tonight like chick needing to be fed and to be protected underneath the shadow of your wing. We praise you Jesus and we lift up your name, that name which is above every name, that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow of those in heaven and on earth and under the earth and every tongue confess that you are Lord to the gory of the Father, amen.

5. Viviana said

Ooo brother, I have been trying to answer but every time I read what you said to me tears come running like a river deep from my soul, some are from my selfishness when I should be glad because our Lord has chosen me. It shouldn’t matter all the pains and sorrows, my sins are enough reason for having to go through this. Other tears are for the pain, enormous unimaginable that so many have gone through, like you said and more than anything Christ, without any sin, just because he loves us, endured for me, for you, for everyone to be able to be save and be with him in the place that he went to preper for us.
    I know your prayers went to God and he did hear your request, he listens to his saints, thank you, thank you so much, you have no idea how much it means to me your answer and most of all our Lord answer.
    Something did happen, I don’t know how to explain it because I don’t even know what it is. The Holy Spirit is manifesting to me in a way I had never felt him before, my whole self is in absolute reverence love, gratitude, just love enormous love for my father in heaven, Jesus and the Holy Spirit.
    God himself has come to visit me, yes I have to be what you say, a light to all the once around me, show them Jesus in a smile, it will be the only way to help them to find Jesus, I love them so much but not their ways. My daughter, my grandchildren, son in law, and friends of them, we all live in the same property and I’m not getting anywhere in my own ways helping them to accept Jesus.
    Our way of loving is not always the best ways, our father’s ways are.
    Wish I had the gift of writing like you do, at least just for now, to say all I want to express right now for how much everything you say means to me.
    You are such a blessing to so many, to me.
    I will need to read often this message that Jesus himself give me through you, every word resonates in my soul, I know his voice, he wants me to get this, every single word of this message is him saying, grasp it Viviana, get it.
    That God lift you up with his right hand and protect you always is my wishes for you, thank you and amen to your prayer.

Sister, my heart rejoices that the Lord was quick to answer. This answer of love that the Holy Spirit has poured into your heart will undoubtedly flow outwards to those who are dying in this world. Even if your family were to never hear another word from you about Jesus, may they be confounded by the love that pours forth from you. A famous man one said that we should preach the gospel at all times, and if we must………speak. Our witness to the world comes first and foremost from the life that is in us, I praise God that He has filled you once again with His life. I need this, we all need this as the old song says ” I need thee, every hour I need thee.” I am encouraged this morning sister that the Lord has heard your call, praise His mighty name. Be blessed sister as you hand your family fully into His hands and look at them through the eyes of the Spirit……………………bro Frank

• Viviana said

The reason I was so discouraged, more lately is because of something that happen in the property where I live and the hand of God was so huge and none that was involved gave glory to him, worst, they took him out completely, my family, their friend that lives here, the police and the news paper. The attack on Christians is every where, by everyone, so real.
        But your encouragement will keep me going and my lord Jesus Christ holding me through so much darkness going on.

6. afchief said