Does God speak to His people ?

Posted by appolus on September 26, 2008

DOES GOD SPEAK TO HIS PEOPLE?

What does it mean to hear God? Seems like such a simple question. You would imagine that no Christian would object to “hearing,” God speak to them. That small still voice, the voice of the shepherd speaking to His sheep, and His sheep recognizing His voice. The Holy Spirit whispering into the hearts of believers. The Holy Spirit leading and guiding and magnifying the Lord Jesus in our hearts.

These simple phrases that I have just used seem to terrify a certain segment of Christianity. If it does not terrify, it brings about jokes and ridicule. Chuck Swindoll, in the Book “The Mystery of God’s Will ,” makes this joke in reference to a person who had heard from God “Was it a Baritone voice?” If you read the whole chapter you will see that it was dripping with sarcasm. How is it, that this well respected author and teacher and Christian could pour such scorn on the simple act of a brother hearing from God?  Very sad.

Here is the very essence of hearing God. A man I know of, went into the supermarket to buy his wife a rose. It was his practice to do this every week. He picked the rose that he wanted and made for the checkout lane. As he walked toward the line , the Holy Spirit spoke to him, that small still voice from the Shepherd. “Give the rose to that woman.” Immediately the man resisted. “Lord, that makes no sense. What if she thinks I am hitting on her? What if she thinks I am crazy? What if others hear and think I am a weirdo?”

There was such a resistance in his flesh, yet he knew the voice of the Lord, and he knew he had to be obedient. So, he took a deep breath and walked over to the lady and said to her “The Lord wanted you to have this rose.” The woman looked at him for a second, then looked at the rose, and as she reached out to take it, she began to weep. She explained.”My husband died several months ago. Every week , for years, he would buy me a rose. This morning I was feeling so lost and forgotton, I cried out to God and asked Him if He had forgotton me, I told Him that I needed to feel loved.” The man cried too.  You see how the Lord loves us? You see how He speaks to His people?

Nothing very complicated about that story, just a very simple, beautiful story of how the Lord cares for His people, how He hears our cries and how He answers them. Sometimes with a rose, sometimes with a whisper , sometimes with a word from someone, sometimes from the Scriptures. …….

1 Ki 19:11-12 And, behold, Jehovah passed by, and a great and strong wind tore the mountains, and broke the rocks in pieces before Jehovah. But Jehovah was not in the wind. And after the wind was an earthquake, but Jehovah was not in the earthquake. And after the earthquake was a fire, but Jehovah was not in the fire. And after the fire was a still, small voice.

Joh 10:27 My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me.

This post was also published on sermonindex.net. If you would like to read the more than 50 replies and get a full understanding of different positions and also learn some deep truth , please click here  http://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?viewmode=flat&order=0&topic_id=25357&forum=35&post_id=&refresh=Go

8 Responses to “Does God speak to His people ?”

1. God’s voice and spiritual gifts are not the only thing the devil blinds many people to

Agreed brother…………….Frank

3. MerleW said

I really appreciated this little article, such an overlooked underdeveloped topic.

Hi Merle…thanks for dropping by. I agree with your comment, it is certainly overlooked and underdeveloped. I think in part, because, there are so many people out there who claim to “hear God,” that many Christians simply take refugue in orthodoxy. Strange people should never be allowed to invalidate the wonderful truths of Scripture………brother Frank

5. Frank said

Gods voice and people hearing has been an issue with me…To often when God tells people something it is usually something they desire….Who to marry, house to buy,,etc…God loves this world but when it comes to hearing God NO ONE is hearing God say GO and TELL others what I have dome for you….God speaking is not a feel good religion…Its a lifestyle that requires rendering the flesh ( as dead )..Come on people….IF God is speaking why is it not a humbling experience ??…Why is it not an experience that causes us SHARE His love with others..??….

Hi Frank, thanks for dropping by. I think you make valid points, just not appropriate for this site or that post. The example I gave was the Lord reaching out to a hurting woman and it cost the man to do it. If you read my posts you will see that this site is dedicated to Jesus and Him crucified. Warriors for Christ, in my book, are people who are prepared to suffer and die for the cause of Christ, die to themselves first and foremost. To make the statement that no one is hearing God say go and tell others what He has done, or that the only people “hearing God,” are people who want houses or cars or stuff leads mr to believe that you travel in fairly small circles. There is a whole world out there brother of people alive for Christ who embrace suffering and who reject the prosperity gospel and the so called word of faith movement. Just because one believes in the supernatural, the gifts of the Spirit, the fact that God still talks to His people, does not automaticly place them in the categories that you mentioned. Many are called but few are chosen, we know that the path to destruction is large and wide and that the path to life is narrow and there are few who find it.

It is a humbling experience, it does cause us to share His love, every day brother, every day. If you are not finding that in the circles that you travel in, perhaps it is time to change your circles?………Frank

7. so I am curious in all of this have you yet learned to hear God’s voice over the voice of the devil.. while the devil speaks to his children, God speaks to his children, Jesus said my sheep hear my voice.

Hearing the Voice of God The Thrilling Mystery of Hearing from God – Divine Guidance Made Easier

We long to know what to do; God longs for us to know him. Guidance can come in a flash, but getting to know someone – especially when that Someone is infinite – is an adventure that never ends. Whereas we want a five-minute consultation, the Lover of our souls wants for us a lifetime of ever-increasing intimacy, culminating in an eternity of incomprehensibly greater intimacy.Let’s see some biblical examples of how easy it is to miss God.

-Jacob went to sleep unaware that he was literally lying over the very gateway of heaven (Genesis 28:11-17).
    -Young Samuel could not distinguish the Lord’s voice from that of the man he served every day (1 Samuel 3:4-5).
    -Multiplied thousands of people rubbed shoulders with the Son of God. They heard teaching like no one had ever given. They saw miracles that took their breath away. And almost none of them had a clue as to who he was.
    -For miles, the resurrected Jesus walked and talked with two of his disciples, and they never realized who was speaking to them. ‘ . . . they were kept from recognizing him.’ The moment they discovered who it was, he vanished (Luke 24:13-31).
    Deuteronomy 4:29 But if from there you seek the LORD your God, you will find him if you look for him with all your heart and with all your soul.
    2 Chronicles 15:15 . . . They sought God eagerly, and he was found by them. . . .
    Jeremiah 29:13 You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
    Psalms 119:145 I call with all my heart; answer me, O LORD, and I will obey your decrees.
    Follow after God alone … God speaks too …
    The Word of God is living and active, it penetrates even to the dividing of soul and spirit.., it judges the thoughts and intents of the heart. Heb 4:12
    My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me. John 10:27
    Man does not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God. Mat4:4 (There is no life without hearing words from the mouth of God.)

But we have to listen for the voice of the Holy Spirit, the Word of God, to hear.

I also learned that I personally can Hear the Voice of God in more ways than one.. Jesus now in reality is not a thought or an ideology, He is a Person. People have relationships, and relationships presupposes mutual communication. The Holy Spirit can and will speak to us directly if we let him to speak to us or let others next to speak to us, to guide us but he does want us to mature, to seek Him, to seek His face for our guidance. We still cannot make our on views, experience now still as God’s rule for everyone else. But many people do. Some people wrongfully do claim that God today can only speak to each one of us personally, to all of us through his written Word the Bible, cause that is all they have experienced maybe? but in fact I am very sure that these very same people God often cannot still even personally reach them firstly even by his Word… you know that is why so many people read the Bible and have different interpretations, doctrines, denominations even cause it is really not God who is talking to them through it… mere man is or self or the devil.. And yet many Bible scholars, pastors who know the Bible are blind to God’s truths and yet they know the Word on the outside.. their real inadequacy is that they really still do not, did not know God on a deep personal level, they have not communicated with Him and thus they are still in the wilderness themselves still. It is one thing to know the Word, but it is another thing to know the Author himself. How well do you know the author, not just his writings?

HI non-conformer, if the opening question in your reply was directed to me, then I would reply, yes I know the small still voice of God. I would have thought that this was fairly obvious from my post 🙂 In fact, it was the point of the post. I would have to say that I agree with the rest of your comment………….Frank