A report from our Gathering.

Posted by appolus on March 26, 2014

Below is a report I received from a dear brother and Pastor from California. He is South African but has been living in the States for a decade. He joined us a couple of weeks ago at a gathering we had at a camp-ground in Missouri ( not tents, I am too old for tents) There were about 25 of us from North America, but the backgrounds were much more varied. We had Americans, Canadians, myself from Scotland, South Africa and Sierra Leone. Within this group we had further diverse backgrounds which included those from Baptist backgrounds, Pentecostal, Conservative families, Mennonites and non-denominational. Please read his report below, it echo’s my own thoughts about the gathering and was exactly what we who called this meeting were seeking, praise God……….

Brother Greg from Sermon Index invited me to attend a conference at camp grounds in Missouri during the week of 17 March. I did not know anything about the various participants beforehand except for some communication with Brother Greg and having read most of the Principles book, produced by Gospel Fellowships, the organizers of the conference.

The conference was unlike any other I had ever attended. There was no preaching, no agenda and no program. About 25 brothers and sisters gathered from various parts of the US and Canada with one purpose and that to spend time in communion – communion with the Lord and with one another. The conference was also different in that there was no food! The two days had been set aside as fast days.

From the moment I was collected at the airport to the moment I was dropped off again, for four days there was only one theme – the Lord and His Word. There were no conversations about sport, politics or anything of the world. This was not because there were rules against such things but because each person had only one driving passion – to know, and honor the Lord.

Brothers sat around the table and simply spoke from their hearts and the Scriptures. There were no formal “sermons” or “messages” yet the Lord clearly spoke through the body. No one was in charge and no one was leading. This would be a recipe for disaster and chaos in most church environments, but not here. Even though we came from many different cultural and church backgrounds, because there was no (visible) selfish ambition or self-promotion, each one participated out of a genuine desire to serve one another.

We spent all the time we were not sleeping either praying or talking to one another about the Lord and His will. I never once felt a discordant note but was aware of a real humility and love and a desire to seek each other’s benefit throughout.

Differences of doctrine was never an issue. Yes, we came from many different backgrounds and there were a few minor doctrinal differences (on non-essentials) but in an atmosphere of love and respect these differences never presented any difficulty – There was not even a hint of discord nor did anyone feel they had to pussyfoot around issues. We could speak openly and frankly without threatening because of the underlying respect, love and humility.

One of the things I saw demonstrated was also how close we can become doctrinally, if we only have the right heart. At the end of the day, there is only one Bible and one Spirit and if we are genuinely led by the Spirit and obedient to the Word, we MUST come to the unity of the faith.

Even though my personal participation and enjoyment was severely limited by a physical affliction, I can say without a doubt that this has to be one of the highlights of my Christian walk. This is partly because I had come to a particularly low point in my relationship with Christians in America because of the incredible carnality I witness amongst “believers” everywhere. I had almost come to the conclusion that real fellowship and real believers did not exist in America, except for a few rare exceptions.

For the first time in a very long time, I felt I was amongst my own and amongst people who spoke my language. Normally when I fellowship with American believers I have to translate what I say and what they say. But here, from the very beginning, I found people who understood me and who I fully understood. I felt, for the first time in a decade, that I was at home. This was because we all spoke one language – the Word of God and we were citizens of the same heavenly country.

I was deeply touched by the love and care of the brothers and tremendously encouraged to know that there is a remnant, even in America. This has to be one of the very few times ever I felt that no one was trying to push themselves and that all were genuinely seeking the glory of God and the edification of the body alone. Indeed a little taste of heaven.

12 Responses to “A report from our Gathering.”

1. Praise God.

Praise the Lord indeed brother, hearts are being knitted, this is the exclusive work of the Holy Spirit……..bro Frank

2. Allan Halton said

What an encouraging report, Frank. Wish I could have been there! More and more may we acknowledge that there is to be only one common “denominator” for Christians. That is the Lord Jesus Christ Himself.

Yes brother Allan, amen. Let Jesus be preeminent. I believe fasting for the two days also helped us, as this was something we were not taking for granted. We may be having some kind of meetings here in the Kansas city area in October, details will be forthcoming as the Lord unfolds it :) …………………bro Frank

3. Like cold water to a weary soul, So is good news from a distant land.

This is an awesome testimony Brother Frank and is full of hope and encouragement! I do understand how one could feel there is no fellowship or are no real believers in America, as it is rare to find people without their own agendas who are promoting their own spiritual office, gift, group, or doctrine.
    I believe beyond a shadow of a doubt that God the Father is answering the prayer of His Son Jesus when Jesus asked in John 17
    20 “My prayer is not for them alone. I pray also for those who will believe in me through their message, 21 that all of them may be one, Father, just as you are in me and I am in you. May they also be in us so that the world may believe that you have sent me. 22 I have given them the glory that you gave me, that they may be one as we are one— 23 I in them and you in me—so that they may be brought to complete unity. Then the world will know that you sent me and have loved them even as you have loved me.

Whether we will see this in our day brother I cannot say, but I know it was being answered from the moment it was asked and that it is the will of God for those who are is! May this glory that was passed on to us through Christ be seen in our lives that we may come into the unity that Jesus prayed that we would.

Thank you so much for sharing this, it brings refreshing! God Bless you and your household brother.

Sister, it is that very Scripture that the Lord laid on my heart and I spoke about at the remnant gathering we had last year in Oklahoma. It’s a simple belief that what the Lord has spoken, will come to pass. He will create the circumstances neccesary to bring it to pass, we believe those circumstances will be persecution, a refiners fire to the saints, a dividing line for the religious………bro Frank

4. sharon said

Sounds like an extrordinary blessing time of fellowship.
    May you get togeather more often.
    The things going on in the heavenly’s now would boggle our minds.
    Come quickly Lord Jesus.

5. Leanne said

Brother Frank, we are having a gathering along the same lines in NC on the 4-6th April.

see this link if anyone is interested….90% of the people going are out of church remnant….

the price is free but there will be a donation to cover food and accommodation.

6. Rev Enue said

Now this is very important, was the collection plate passed around?