Have you cried until there’s no more tears to cry?

Posted by appolus on December 13, 2013

Since the beginning of time, there has been this question, or some form of it ” Why do bad things happen to good people?” Some philosophers have asked ” What is justice?” Now Christians are not immune to these thoughts or questions, in fact I would argue, that we will all ask that question to one degree or another at some point in our walk, maybe at many points in our walk.

Now there are certain times in our life when it is not just one bad thing that happens. Sometimes they overlap don’t they? They threaten to overwhelm us and those initial questions are simply intensified as we try to figure out what is going on and what is the purpose of it all. Many of  you will readily identify with these times. They are specific times when the enemy comes in like a flood and threatens to drown us in our circumstances. We scramble in our minds to make sense of it all. We hear familiar Scriptures from our hearts reminding us that God will never leave us nor forsake us yet that is exactly how we feel, left and forsaken and then the hammer drops again.

Can I suggest that life, the Christian life, whether you know it or not is an all out battle. There is an enemy of your soul and he does seek to drown you, he does seek to simply sweep you away by wave after wave of circumstances. It is in these times that we make life altering decisions. Now remember, that the enemy is after is your testimony, make no mistake about that. He does not care about you at all, what he wants you to do is to curse God and die. He wants others to see, as they look upon your circumstances, merely a man or a woman just like them. He wants to steal hope from your heart. He wants to present you as hopeless to the world so that a hopeless world can take comfort from the fact that there is really nothing in what you have said in the past, that it was merely all words and now circumstances have revealed that you are no different from them.

He wants to rob you of your peace, he wants to show the world that the peace that you claimed to have was merely circumstantial peace, not a supernatural peace that surpasses understanding. He wants to present you to the world as just like them and that as long as things are going okay then you have peace, but as soon as you are opposed by trial and circumstance, then your peace is gone, just like the worlds. He wants to rob you of your joy. He wants to show the world that this joy that you had was not supernatural, but merely a happiness that the world understands which again is gleaned from circumstances. He does not want the world to see the kind of joy that Paul presents after having been scourged and thrown into a dungeon and yet begins to praise God in the darkness of the night. And in that incident we see that this kind of joy, this supernatural joy is a door that leads from the deepest valleys, the darkest nights, the most gruesome of circumstances into the throne room of God Himself and that open door allows the power of God to flow into that very darkness and convince those who dwell in that darkness that there is a light that can redeem them from their chains.

In 1 Sam 30 we see David in a season when he could have asked the questions that we asked in the opening of this post. David has done no wrong. He had been watching the sheep of his father when the prophet of God comes along and anoints him. He has acted valiantly on the battle field for the sake of God. He has killed giant overwhelmed the enemies of Gods people and brought victory after victory. He has been loyal to King Saul and the family of Saul. Yet here in 1 Sam 30 we see David in one of his many low points in life, where circumstances have multiplied and come against him, where just where a set of circumstances cannot seem to get worse, they do. You see brothers and sisters, we shall be challenged many times in our lives. That is a fact. Whether you know it or not, there is a raging battle and it is the enemies full-time task to tear down the witness of Jesus in the earth. And so here is David, having had to flee from his home and family with Saul hunting him down like a dog and now even the Philistines want nothing to do with him because they do not trust him. He returns to the town where he lived, Ziklag, undoubtedly very dejected, and what does he find? The town has been burned down and all the wives and the children have been taken. Now I can hear David’s cry now ” Lord, have I not had enough?” Sorrow has piled upon sorrow and it threatens to crush David and those who follow him, so much so that even those who have followed him begin to turn on him.

“Then David and the people who were with him lifted up their voices and wept until they had no more power to weep.”( 1 Sam 30:4) Have you been there brothers and sisters? Maybe some of you are there now? Now what are we to do? It says ” But David strengthened himself in the Lord his God.” There is no rebuke for his tears, in fact it is quite a thing to weep until you have not even the strength left to weep, and maybe you have done that. Yet David does something that he will be called upon to do many more times in his walk with the Lord , he ‘ strengthened himself in the Lord.” Now that phrase ” strengthened himself,” in the Greek is khaw-zak and it means multiple things like to bind, to restrain to conquer. You see we are called to overcome. It also means to hold fast, to maintain, to be steadfast, resolute and prevail. We cannot possibly see the bigger picture, God sees it all, He sits upon the circle of the earth, he sees our lives from beginning to end. He sees at this moment that David will prevail, he sees that he will pursue, and by His hand he will overcome. David does not know that because he cannot see that, he must trust God that God knows. He will have to do this time and again in his walk, and he does and he overcomes.

We see the clues and the insight in overcoming in one of David’s psalms, 40. ” I waited patiently for the Lord and He inclined to me and heard my cry.” We must wait upon the Lord and believe that the Lord not only sees our situations but that he sees our tears and hears our cries. ” He also brought me up out of a horrible pit. Out of the miry clay and set my feet upon a Rock and established my steps.” You see, He hears and He sees and for those who trust in Him and wait upon Him, He delivers them from very dark places and He establishes them once again on solid ground where once they were sinking and drowning in a quick sand of despair and hopelessness. The tears must give way to hope and trust. After the tears end there must be a resolution in us to wait upon the Lord. In this we exercise our faith in God and this pleases God and confounds the enemies schemes. David comes upon his enemies and finds them having a party, rejoicing in their great victory but they had not reckoned upon the God of David and in God David overcomes.

David can then say , having gone through the gamut of hopelessness and despair and so many tears that “Blessed is that man who makes the Lord his trust…….I delight to do your will , O God and your law is written within my heart.” Jesus is seated on the throne of the hearts of every saint. It is this fact that brings us through every trial and every tribulation. It is because of our love for Him that when all our tears have been shed that we will rise from that place and bind and restrain the thoughts of self-pity and defeat. We will arise resolute and steadfast and we will prevail and overcome because He who sits on the throne of our hearts was Himself resolute and steadfast when He arose from His own tears and agony in Gethsemane. He arose having acknowledged the will of His Father and set His face towards Calvary and beyond. We too, who love the Lord will do this by the power and might of the Holy Spirit that magnifies the Lord Jesus who sits upon the circle of our heart and sees.

11 Responses to “Have you cried until there’s no more tears to cry?”

1. Allan Halton said

Thanks for this, Frank. With what has been going on in my own life and circumstances it comes as “a word in season.”

Hi bro Allan. You would certainly be one of the folks in my mind when writing this article, someone who would get up and encourage himself in the Lord and keep on going. You are an encouragement Allan. God bless you ……………bro Frank

• Allan Halton said

Hi Frank, you don’t know how much your warm words meant to me today. Bless you, my brother. And yes, I will continue to encourage myself in the Lord… and keep on!

• Susanne Schuberth (Germany) said

You have been a great encouragement to me as well, Allan. And I am looking forward to your next blog posting. ;)
          Blessings and Love,
          Susanne

PS
          Many thanks for the links, Frank. I’ll check them shortly (DV :) ).

2. Susanne Schuberth (Germany) said

What an insightful and humble article you wrote here, Frank. This is indeed “a word in season” for me as it has been for you, Allan. ;)

There is one thing I want to share with you that strikes me more and more each day. Looking away from myself and my own experiences I have realized how many of those around me – who don’t know God the way only a few believers are privileged to do – are struggling with having lost hope because of physical and mental pain, because of losing a child or because of facing death without knowing what will happen to them. Seeing their pain brings me back down to earth when I have lost the sober-minded ground which I so need in order to feel any compassion for others. I cannot forget that our Lord said or rather will say one day,
    “Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brothers, you did it to me.” (Mt 25:40)
    ” Truly, I say to you, as you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to me.” (Mt 25:45)
    And James said,
    “So whoever knows the right thing to do and fails to do it, for him it is sin.” (Jas 4:17)
    These statements made clear to me that I will always need a Savior because of my many sins regarding such failures.

Frank, you wrote about the battle believers should fight in their life against their invisible enemy who only wants to destroy God’s blessings. And in a recent comment to me you said that we will have to fight this battle until “we pass over into eternity”. Alas, that’s the truth – until the miracle of gentle sunlight shines across the blue sky…
    But there is still another truth I have been pondering on for three days now. You also wrote to me that having glimpsed heaven “is a mixed blessing”, a statement I wholeheartedly agree with because it actually “ruins you for the things of this world”, they become dry, empty, yes bittersweet to a heart that doesn’t live here anymore. But yet, I have been wondering whether it is possible that such a blessing could turn into a curse as well…? It seems more than thought-provoking and I don’t want to sound over-anxious here because I know that no one can snatch His children out of Jesus’ and His Father’s hand. However, isn’t there also another fight to fight for those who have seen Heaven that cannot be compared with this in contrast bland and poorly lit world on earth?
    If we want to become increasingly Christ-like, don’t we too have to fight our way down from Heaven looking to Jesus “who, though he was in the form of God, did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped, but emptied himself, by taking the form of a servant, being born in the likeness of men. And being found in human form, he humbled himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross.” (Phil 2:6-8)?
    Maybe it is part of our cross as well that we quasi put aside these blissful encounters with God in order to fulfill the whole law by loving our neighbors as ourselves (Gal 5:14). Or in other words, quoting another of your comments, Frank, we should learn to be “content” as Paul was, even if we must ‘lay down our angel’s wings’ and walk by foot until our dying breath – happy without those special things but appreciating His company in our “fellowship with His sufferings” (Phil 3:10)…

3. Ann said

Last night my post was about encouraging yourself and had to look up the verses you reference here. Love it when God confirms what He’s trying to tell me :) Blessings!

4. W.E. Smith said

Amen as always my dear brother. Your words are always dipped in the blood of our Savior, as you have shared deeply in His sufferings.

It is life that The Father always has in view, not nor never death. Death is merely the means to this new and better life. It is a life baptized in tears, and rising up out of the cutting off of the flesh in its many forms.

He came that we might have life, abundant and eternal life, and He has ordained from long ago that through much pain and stretching (pictured in childbirth). Before that cry of joy when a new life has come into the world, there are tears and agony and a sense even that death is winning. This is why the devil is among us, the only reason. He is a means to an end, even though he fancies he is something larger unto himself. Before the promise of life there is wilderness, Jordan, and all of the occupants of the land to be dealt with in faith.

Oh how I have wept my brother, these last so many years. Rivers of tears, bitter and deep, as you know. Mostly over what I am in myself, and then also what has been taken from me. But He rains down on the freshly mowed grass. And this rain is His tears of joy when His beloved Son is increased and life comes forth from out of the pruned and grafted branches.

This testimony you speak of is one of life, and yes this is what the enemy seeks to invalidate, to snuff out before it shines into this dark world. Sarah bore a child. Barrenness gave way to a well watered spring.

Tears are miraculous things. Tear ducts seem to perform no essential physical function and so evolution should have removed them. But the Lord has made us fearfully and wonderfully. He knew and H knows still. And He holds all that we cry in His bottle. Oh what an image is this my brother, oh how great is His attention and affection and consideration to us personally and intimately.

Love you my dear brother. Thank you for being there always with worlds of life.

As always brother Wayne, your words speak to me. I know of your own suffering and I know that this has brought you closer to the Lord and so my ears are always open when you speak brother. The world is looking for eye-witnesses to the truth, not second hand peddlers………………bro Frank